Everyone communicates. It’s the essence of the human experience. How we communicate is evolving. Technology is reshaping the way we live, learn and thrive. The epicenter of this transformation is the network—our passion. Our experts are rethinking the purpose, role and usage of networks to help our customers increase bandwidth, expand capacity, enhance efficiency, speed deployment and simplify migration. From remote cell sites to massive sports arenas, from busy airports to state-of-the-art data centers— we provide the essential expertise and vital infrastructure your business needs to succeed. The world’s most advanced networks rely on CommScope connectivity.
We are currently recruiting for a qualified, interested and available Principal Mechanical Engineer for an opportunity located in Richardson, TX.
Performs design and development in such areas as mechanical design and thermal design of active radio/antenna products. This includes development of CAD database, thermal characterization, weatherproofing, mounting feature design, EMI suppression feature design, assembly plans. Conducts stack up tolerance analysis to see design validity. The radio/antenna products are primarily electro-mechanical and have high demand for reliability and design integrity in severe environments.
This position is part of a cross functional team and the candidate is expected to take design input from electrical, mechanical and software engineers to arrive at multi-discipline design solutions. The successful candidate will perform thermal and structural simulations in FLOWTHERM or ANSYS or equivalent. The candidate may direct support personnel in the preparation of detailed design, design testing, and prototype fabrication. Additionally, given the cross functional and globally diverse nature of the engineering team, the candidate should be comfortable and be able to thrive in such an environment and work seamlessly with teams across various engineering functions and geographies.
The following are further expectations of this role. Establish specifications and written test plans including the development of test procedures to verify engineering designs is integral to the position. Partner with Electrical, Testing, and Manufacturing Engineers, assists in development of Process Flow Charts (PFC) and Process Control Plans to ensure reproducibility and repeatable of final products. Implement principles of six sigma (DFSS and DMAIC) during the design cycle to meet the desired cost and performance targets.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a Technical Discipline from an accredited university with a minimum of 12 years of work experience involving the use of Mechanical Engineering principles and practices or a Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a Technical Discipline from an accredited university with a minimum of 8 years of work experience involving the use of Mechanical Engineering principles and practices
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, i.e., injection molding, die casting, CNC, machining, extrusion, 3D printing, and sheet metal is required.
- Experience in conducting design reviews with suppliers prior to tool launch is required.
- Must be knowledgeable of assembly processes, i.e., ultrasonic welding, screws, adhesives and rivets.
- Must have in depth experience in material and component selection.
- Experience with 3D modeling software package, i.e. SolidWorks, Pro/E and Unigraphics.
- Ability to conduct structural and thermal simulations using ANSYS/ Solidworks and FLOWTHERM / ICEPAK (or equivalent) is required.
- Experience and deep understanding of Tolerance Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design for Assembly (DFA) and Consumer-Focused Design (CFD) is a must.
- Must possess good oral/written communication skills.
- Requires the ability to regularly contact, influence and negotiate with both internal and external individuals on complex issues.
- Must be able to respond to inquiries and complaints with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in designing assemblies for medium or high volume electronic devices is highly preferred.
- SAP experience preferred.
- MSME preferred