The Open Systems Engineer will work collaboratively with multiple platform and business teams in overall support of the Staples environment. This position will report in to the team lead or Sr. Manager for Engineering. This role will also assist in the design and support of key business projects. Key responsibilities include driving the best technical solution across multiple Staples initiatives. The Open Systems Engineer must have a proven track record managing technical initiatives, and the ability to work closely with different business groups, both onshore and off. The Open Systems Engineer should be well versed in multiple technologies and experience managing large enterprises. The Open Systems Engineer will be key in driving the Staples business objectives forward. Primary
- Planning, installing, configuring, supporting, and optimizing Open systems (UNIX and Linux) with a primary Focus on Linux
- Designing and implementing system to system interconnectivity with high availability and fault tolerance, as well as Domain authentication and various services
- Perform periodic maintenance / patching as required
- The successful candidate will work on high impact enterprise wide projects, and will have responsibility for reporting and metrics related to services and projects in the Open Systems space
- Participate in monthly compliance reporting and management of systems to Sarbanes Oxley (Sox) and Payment Card Industry (PCI) Security requirements.
- 8 + years experience as a System Engineersupporting one or more flavors of Linux
- 5 + years experience operating / managing RedHat Satellite
- 5 + years experience with VMWare, vCenter and vSphere
- Advanced scripting and programming experience (shell, awk, perl, python)
- Advanced experience with Clustering solutions, preferably Veritas Cluster Server
- Experience organizing, assembling and leading teams from multiple IT groups
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and ability to concurrently manage multiple deadline-driven tasks and projects; self-starter
- Ability to work in team setting as well as independently.
- Experience working with both offshore and remote teams.
- Knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley (Sox) and Payment Card Industry (PCI) Security requirements
- Ability to adapt and learn / take on new responsibilities and challenges.
- Good communication skills with both technical and management teams
- A strong preference for experience in managing both Linux and Unix environments. Strong troubleshooting and analysis skills
- Experience in the developing server automation solutions, including automated builds, server maintenance and run-book automation.
- Experience supporting multiple hardware platforms, preferably Cisco UCS and HP
- Experience with various Networking technologies, Infoblox, DNS, DHCP, Firewalls and Load Balancers
- Experience with Databases (Oracle, DB2 & SQL server).
- Experience with Couchbase, Hadoop, Mongo DB
- Experience with various storage management solutions, HP and EMC preferred
- Knowledge of network monitoring and tools