At Stryker, our Industrial Designers work with an interdisciplinary product development team to create and launch new products for the medical industry. Our Industrial Designers at all levels are passionate about the design process and to demonstrate process leadership with their teams. Our Industrial Designers become the product development team’s visual communicators, using visualization tools and methods to improve the team’s ability to collaborate and communicate.
We are currently looking for an Industrial Designer to work closely with our Medical Division, based in Kalamazoo, MI. The Industrial Designer informs the team of key trends in design related topics such as product design, color, materials and finishes. Candidates should show passion for design research and the ability to define a product’s aesthetic theme.
Most importantly, the Industrial Designer’s role is to define the user experience and product attributes that support the experience. In support of the user experience, the Industrial Designer creates divergent product and service solutions to key market and business problems their team has identified as critical to the success of a project.
Additionally, the Industrial Designer is responsible for following the product through to production reviewing early manufacturing samples to assure quality and craftsmanship of the final product execution. Our products are complex electromechanical devices with imbedded features accessible through digital interfaces, so candidates must have strong, established traditional industrial design skills as well as experience with integrating emerging design disciplines into the product development process (ie. User interface design, User experience design, etc.). Candidates must demonstrate developing leadership qualities and may serve as lead advisor to lower level personnel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate on cross functional team of product developers, to set direction and execute product design activities for new and revitalized products.
- Lead development of product vision and visual brand language.
- Actively participate in the planning, creation of methods, and facilitation of end user research to inform product feature decisions.
- Work with a high level of autonomy, act as technical resource on a project making key design decisions to support our product design and brand strategies.
- Hire and manage outside Industrial Design firms to support project load as needed.
- Propose enhancement to continuously improve Industrial Design operational (Studio) process.
- Develop visual brand language at the portfolio level defining product specific brand language.
Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelors’ Degreerequired.
- Minimum of 10 years of practical ID experience.
- Experience with, including teaching or facilitating, human-centered design methods.
- Demonstrated design leadership by facilitating methods in support of a product development team.
- High level of expertise using digital design tools that may include: Rhinoceros, Adobe Suite, Pro E, Solid Works, etc.
- Achieved a significant level of industry knowledge.
- Viewed as an influential resource in previous assignments.
- Competent with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.