As part of the application process, a candidate account is required to log in and view application(s). Please be sure to check email regularly for information regarding our employment process.
Independently underwrites the most complex Stop Loss cases. Assists in the development of strategy and policy for group underwriting function. Provides guidance, training, mentoring, coaching and work direction to lower level Stop Loss underwriters.
- Evaluate risk for the most complex Stop Loss product. Analyze data such as financial condition of the client company, characteristics of employee groups, participation percentage, type of industry, or past claim experience to determine benefits and rates. Ensure proper pricing and appropriate funding methods. Coordinate underwriting activities on proposals, new cases, renewals and amendments. Ensure that the company can administer the client’s proposed benefit plan design and funding method. Frequently contact field force to gather information on which to base decisions. Explain and defend underwriting courses of action. Review cases exceeding lower level underwriter’s authority level.
- Provide guidance, training, mentoring, coaching and work direction to lower level Underwriters. May provide input to performance reviews.
- Assist in the development of strategy and policy for group underwriting function. This includes maintaining a Quality Assurance Program. Participate in product development and enhancements. Continually searches for ways to improve effectiveness and efficiencies for all processes.
- Continue to acquire knowledge of medical market and various state regulations. Continue professional development activities and coursework.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree or equivalent
- 15+ years underwriting experience
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
At Voya, we have identified the following critical skills which are key to success in our culture:
- Customer Focused: Passionate drive to delight our customers and offer unique solutions that deliver on their expectations.
- Critical Thinking: Thoughtful process of analyzing data and problem solving data to reach a well-reasoned solution.
- Team Mentality: Partnering effectively to drive our culture and execute on our common goals.
- Business Acumen: Appreciation and understanding of the financial services industry in order to make sound business decisions.
- Learning Agility: Openness to new ways of thinking and acquiring new skills to retain a competitive advantage.