The Core Services Engineering team is an infrastructure team responsible for defining architectural standards and building cross-cutting services at Plastiq. Examples include, message bus, orchestration layer, identity and access management, release management, CI/CD, SRE, and testing practices. The team also acts as a tiger team that can solve the toughest problems and help product teams get critical projects across the finish line.
As Principal Software Engineer you will define and lead work breakdown, execution, and delivery for large epics. This means providing architectural influence across multiple domains and enforcing performance, security, and architectural standards. You will collaborate closely with product and design teams to deliver best in class experiences to our end users. You are a key technology reference within our product engineering team and you’ll play an important role in ensuring the scalability of our tech that drives our business, product, and platform. You will be a role model mentoring the extended team as our goal is for everyone to be their Greatest of All Time (G.O.A.T.).
At Plastiq, we offer an engineering culture that's diverse, supportive, and high-energy. We provide people with the opportunity to thrive in an environment that unlocks their maximum potential. We believe in breaking barriers, embracing failure, and challenging ourselves to do what others have told us we cannot. That means learning and growing together and challenging each other to be better engineers and humans.
- Design and code with architectural level considerations in mind, including simplicity, extensibility, testability, resiliency, performance, and security
- Articulate alternatives across both new and proven technology solutions
- Hands-on development of code, complete with automated tests that are scalable and maintainable
- Perform code reviews with helpful and meaningful feedback for your teammates
- Set the bar for documentation, coding standards, security, performance, maintainability, resiliency, reliability, testing, and production visibility (logging/monitoring/alerting)
- Own team's domain area including design, development, release strategies, experiment strategies, production visibility (logging/monitoring/alerting), escalation policies, and run books
- Own what you build in production and be an ambassador of Quality
- 10+ years of professional software development experience with increasing technical leadership responsibilities
- Solid ability to design and articulate architectural decisions and build consensus with other engineers
- Solid understanding of how browsers work with expert level knowledge of maintaining complex distributed frontend applications
- Solid experience with concurrency, multi-threading and event-driven architectures
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL) and with NoSQL stores like MongoDB
- Experience with Microservices and Containerization (Docker, AWS ECS or K8s)
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud computing platforms
- Nice-to-have Experience
- Experience with Node.js/Express.js, React, Redux
- Experience working closely with DevOps, Release Engineering, and/or InfoSec
- Experience with SSO, AuthN/AuthZ, and Identity and Access Management
- Plastiq operates a CI/CD model and releases code to production frequently. We are building cloud-native micro-services with a component-based frontend written in React.js, and a Node.js backend, which sits in front of our Payments Processing Platform built in Java.
- For our testing platforms we use Jest for API & unit backend tests, cypress.io for frontend testing, and Gitlab for our continuous integration and delivery.
- Plastiq is powered by data. Our data pipeline continuously streams data to Snowflake via AWS Kinesis so our Data Engineering and Analytics team can produce machine-learning models that help drive our business.