The Office of the Chief Financial Officer at Berkeley Lab is seeking Principal Financial Analysts. Operating within the Lab’s financial policies and procedures, this position will independently provide complex, detailed and comprehensive program/project budget management, planning and analysis services. This includes providing financial support and complex consultative advice to scientific investigators and their research programs/projects or operations managers covering parts of the assigned division’s annual funding from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), other direct sponsors, and/or the Laboratory’s Operations Division.
We have opportunities across our organization supporting client groups in the following areas:
● Computing Sciences
● Earth & Environmental Sciences
● Energy Sciences
● Energy Technologies Area
● Physical Sciences Area
What You Will Do:
- Oversee highly complex program/project/functional activities from inception to close-out, including the formulation, execution, projection and analysis of budgets, funding, costs and commitments, and associated staffing levels.
- Leverage technical knowledge in developing highly advanced funding forecasts and spend plans for both Principal Investigators (PIs), Program Managers as well as external sponsors; analyze variances by identifying root causes, and revising forecasts as necessary.
- Process, evaluate and approve financial transactions, including commitment of funds consistent with delegated authorities including both financial and personnel actions maintaining appropriate documentation.
- Develop and provide resolutions and highly impactful strategies for managing major financial variables resulting from widely varying research contract terms, high levels of funding uncertainty, varying sponsor financial guidelines and funding cycles, specialized sponsor reporting requirements; provide advanced budget planning and analytical services.
- Oversee proposal process and develop detailed, multi-year proposal budgets of various dollar amounts including subcontracting, justifications, and administrative documentation for programs of moderate to high complexity.
- Provide comprehensive contract and grant preparation and coordination support. Coordinate proposal development work with research project team and stakeholders/customers.
- Advise and assist PIs and technical staff in the review and development of all materials necessary to support Research & Development (R&D) subcontracts, Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and consultant agreements.
- Coordinate placing procurement requisition into the Lab’s procurement system, tracking active subcontract activity, and extension requests with LBL procurement staff and others.
- Review the quality control of work products prepared by assigned staff members with respect to compliance with the funding agency’s guidelines, and compliance with Berkeley Lab, DOE and UC policies, processes and guidelines.
What is Required:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or economics, and/or the equivalent of a minimum of 6 years related experience including experience in a research, academic or large/complex organization.
- Advanced knowledge of and applied experience with business, budgeting and accounting principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Knowledge of cost accounting standards (CAS) and other Federal process and regulations.
- Advanced knowledge, experience and achievement in planning and managing portfolios of complex budgets funded from multiple sources having varying contract terms and conditions.
- Substantial experience with spreadsheets and financial databases, such as Excel, and PeopleSoft financial applications and other relevant software applications. Experience in creating standard and ad hoc reports and presentations, including the use of charts and graphs.
- Experience with leading and supervising a team. Specialist in providing financial advice and consultative services, including short and long-range financial planning, estimating, budgeting, cost and effort tracking, analysis and forecasting, indirect rate development, monitoring expenses appropriateness, tracking and reporting and project close-out.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills. Ability to multi-task and deliver timely accurate and complete work on tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of contract and grant proposal administration; reviewing & interpreting solicitations, proposal preparation, and understanding of research administration guidelines of federal and non-federal sponsors.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab-
addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the