Req ID: JR-0000039836
Western Digital Corporation is seeking a self-starting Systems Engineer who will provide the business knowledge and technical skills to implement technical strategies, evaluate new products and provide a superior level of technical support that benefits the company, WDC customers and partners.In this role you will
- Participate in the planning, design, technical review and implementation of storage infrastructure hardware and operating systems for WDC cloud-based storage products.
- Interface with internal and external customers and support them by developing solutions to complex storage problems and by handling internal and external customer deployments and projects.
- Utilize your knowledge and skills in storage hardware, system administration, applications and networking to accomplish this.
- Oversee the transition of new products from development into the field and will provide guidelines and best practices for implementing WD storage systems to customers or installation teams.
- Elicit customer needs and collaborate with design engineers on product requirements with the goal of enhancing reliability, usability, stability and maintainability of the WDC line of storage products.
In addition, under limited supervision you will provide technical direction and expertise by performing troubleshooting and remediation of field issues and then duplicating these customer problems and concerns in a lab environment. You will then drive necessary system design changes, fixes and design specifications, and perform system level testing as required to accomplish this. Qualifications:
- BS in Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering or related discipline, plus 8 to 10 years related experience.
- Knowledge in SAS storage architecture, topologies and the device types which make up a high-speed SAS storage subsystem, including HBAs, expanders and disk drives.
- Documented experience in supporting enterprise storage products, including customer problem resolution, failure analysis and establishing root cause.
- Proficiency in SAS, SATA and SES storage protocols.
- Detailed understanding of x86 system architecture and the interrelationships between processors, memory, I/O subsystems and operating system.
- Strong organizational, collaborative and communication skills. The ability to present technical information, both oral and written, including creating and reviewing written engineering documentation.
- Works well both individually and in a team environment. Ability to work well under pressure and time constraints.
In addition, the following skills are desirable for this position:
- Network configuration and troubleshooting experience, including analysis of availability, utilization, throughput and performance.
- Storage related driver and firmware development or testing a plus.
- Programming or Scripting experience (C, C++, Python, Perl) a plus. Linux, Unix and/or Microsoft Windows system administration a plus.
- Direct experience with protocol analysis equipment, specifically with SAS/SATA trace analysis a plus.