Principal Engineer, Systems Design (Enterprise Unix Systems)
The System Design Engineer’s role is to design, validate and deploy technical solutions to maintain, enhance, and evolve the T-Mobile Network and Systems. As a Principal Systems Design Engineer, you will provide day to day technological guidance to a team management tasked with administration of the IBM AIX systems running on IBM Power servers and Linux systems running on HP servers within T-Mobile’s Data Centers. Specific tasks may include the development and maintenance of designs for the network, applications, data centers, connectivity, validation plans, monitoring systems, reporting systems and engineering tools. The priority of these designs is to maximize reliability, performance, and efficiency while limiting costs and time to market. Responsibilities may include the evaluation and translation of requirements into design, evaluate design benefits and tradeoffs, validate design compliance and support deployment of the design to ensure the requirements were met. Development of tools may be required to most efficiently solve technical or business challenges including technology evolution, capacity management, and performance optimization. Technical documentation and presentation skills are required to convey design benefits to a wide range of audiences. Works on technical assignments that are moderately difficult, requiring judgment in resolving issues or in making recommendations. Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions. This position will to help drive the day to day workload of the team, identifying platform, security, and automation enhancements. This position is responsible for designing, administering and maintaining hardware and UNIX OS software running applications which are critical to T-Mobile’s day to day operations. Core technologies are comprised of enterprise class IBM, HP, AIX, Linux hardware and software installations.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
STUFF WE'LLTRUSTYOU WITH
- Technical System Expertise: Deep understanding of system parameters, configurations, and how to alter them for desired results. Aware of current technology benefits. Expected to lead teams and deliver complex network designs. Subject matter expert in the building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools required to complete design work. Independent study of current technology is expected. Good understanding of adjacent processes and workflows.
- Technical Engineering Services: Drives engineering projects and team members by active contribution to the application of engineering techniques; conducting tests and inspections; preparing reports and calculations. Expected to supervise base through senior level engineers as needed. Will be expected to present project improvement scenarios to management for consideration. Creates procedures and processes to validate and enhance and optimize network. Able to diagnose and redesign based on changing business requirements and objectives. Able to lead others through various scenarios and explain the variance and impact. Able to prepare executive summaries of activities and clearly communicate areas of opportunity.
- Innovation: Develops, designs, and implements new ideas which improve an existing and new system/process/service. Investigative independent study and problem solving for non-routine tasks. Analyzes existing processes and vendor roadmaps to highlight upcoming technology changes that would make the processes or tools more effective within a given VP function. Drives to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Initiates and facilitates brainstorming sessions and product and process improvement dialogues.
- Technical Writing: Writes advanced documentation, architecture, capabilities, limitations, and advantages for technologies. Creates and modifies clear documentation on existing and new systems. Able to design and communicate technical system specifications and business requirements. Able to present complex ideas to non-technical audience. Creates and presents executive presentations. Participate in industry professional norms.
- Technical Leadership: Monitor and influence relevant industry technologies and standards. Present highly technical concepts to both technical and non-technical decision-makers. Continuously learns, creates content, and teaches others specific subject areas. Informally coaches and contributes to the development of others through mentoring or in-house workshops and learning sessions. Coach and develop engineers across functional teams on technology decisions. Influence technology and policy decisions made across the VP organization. Understand financial decisions, including NPV and ROI, based on customer experience/business drivers.
- Technology Strategy: Evaluates new and existing technology options that supports business goals. Develops options into plans and drives towards completion.
- Supplemental Region/Market Functions: o Strategic end to end dimensioning, planning and performance of the network o Development of optimization features and processes o Provides capacity plans and performance reports o Provides regular performance reports for nodes, interfaces, and services across o Supports performance related lab and FOA activities o Systems Engineering and design of T-Mobile’s Network o Feasibility analysis of new technologies, products, features, and services o In depth analysis (both fiscal and technical) and design of new features and technologies o Development and deployment of network technology software/automation reporting and tools to meet internal customer and business requirements
- Collect, process and evaluate market/regional analytics to identify further business CAPEX spend and OPEX Savings
STUFFYOU TELLPEOPLEAT PARTIES
- 7+ Years Technical engineering experience
- Subject Matter Expert across technology stack for UNIX/Linux operating systems, including components software.
- Demonstrated ability to lead infrastructure-related projects including installation of hardware and software solutions (for mainframe, distributed servers, storage, middleware, and networking).
- Lead experience with UNIX shell scripting and similar technologies. Experience with proper code development and deployment strategies, including deployment pipelines and associated technologies.
- Automation mindset with up to datescripting skills to match.
- Scrum/Agile framework lead experience.
- Working knowledge of network components (switches, routers, port configurations).
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure with minimal supervision – including the ability to simultaneously support multiple strategically significant tasks under fixed/accelerated deadlines.
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team. Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills. The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers’ needs.
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Motivational Support: The ability to enhance others' commitment to their work.
- Inspiring Others: Ability to convey confidence in employees' ability to be successful, especially at challenging new tasks; delegating significant responsibility.
- Conceptual Thinking: The ability to find effective solutions by taking a holistic, abstract, or theoretical perspective.
- Strategic Thinking: The ability to analyze the organization's competitive position by considering market and industry trends, existing and potential customers (internal and external), and strengths and weaknesses as compared to competitors.
- Fostering Innovation: The ability to develop, sponsor, or support the introduction of new and improved method, products, procedures, or technologies.
- Experience with JIRA or like software for work management.
- Coding experience with technologies like Python, Ruby, and Perl.
- Ability to teach good practices around code development and deployment.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent