You will deliver products and solutions—not just features—by developing an understanding of how Stitch Fix works. We trust you to focus your time and efforts where they are needed most. Your commitment to applying technology to business challenges in clean & innovative ways will make you a trusted advisor to your partners and their teams. You will own projects and influence our direction.
You won’t do this alone. Your team will collaborate with business partners to define product requirements, plans, and deliverables. You will work with team members to take advantage of learning and growth opportunities in tech and product through real day-to-day work. You will impact the business in tangible, visible ways that and always have a seat at the table.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer for our Mobile team in our San Francisco office or remotely. As one of our few Principal Mobile engineers at Stitch Fix, you will work with product and technical stakeholders and other native mobile engineering team members to design, break down, implement and ship user-facing features for the native mobile applications. You will help lead technical decision making on the Mobile team, guiding the architecture of how we build major new mobile efforts at Stitch Fix as we vastly broaden the impact of mobile across Stitch Fix. You will provide thoughtful and careful feedback to other engineers on their implementations. You will help ensure that each sprint for teams you work with is a successful one by focusing on both sprint goals and strategic goals for the future. You will also mentor other engineers and help guide close stakeholders from other disciplines such as Product and Design.
We cannot succeed without creative engineers. Your cross-functional team will
propose and build solutions to move the state of the art of Stitch Fix mobile technology forwards.
ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY
Technologies we rely on to pursue solutions to business problems include:
- Swift 5.3
- SwiftUI and UIKit
- Quick & Nimble
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
Even if you already have experience with these tools, you'll have the chance to get even better with them. And if you don't already use these tools, we will help you learn and become effective with them.
You’re excited about this opportunity because...
- We work collaboratively as a distributed team—we are a primarily remote team and we use GitHub, Slack, and video conferencing extensively to collaborate.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in creating prototypes and exploring alternative designs—we value pull requests, one-pagers, and screencasts to develop rapid prototypes that demonstrate new features.
- Our workflow depends on testing and CI—we take testing and test automation seriously in order to build software we can rely on, and use CircleCI to bring it all together.
- We have a distributed, service-oriented architecture—we’re using tools like GraphQL, RabbitMQ, Kafka, ElasticSearch, and headless HTTP services to scale our team and software.
We use these tools and techniques help us get the job done and we’re excited to
share our expertise with new members of the team. You will have the opportunity to help us continue to adopt effective practices and technologies and explore their full potential.
We are excited about you because...
- YOU ARE ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT TECHNOLOGY. You will collaborate to build solutions using the appropriate tools and contribute to design and architecture across multiple systems. You want to build on your experience and help us to adopt new technologies. You'll learn from us, and we'll learn from you. You care deeply about the experience you are delivering.
- YOU HAVE A PRODUCT-FOCUSED MINDSET. Our team works together to deliver projects that use technology to solve real business problems. Your team members and business partners will seek out your opinion on how the product you’re building should work. You aren’t afraid to dig deep and ask the tough questions of our customers, company, and executive team.
- YOU ARE INTERESTED IN DEVELOPING YOUR LEADERSHIP QUALITIES. You should believe in what you’re doing and inspire others around you to be their best selves? Do you feel ownership for the projects you are working on?
- YOU HAVE DEEP RESPECT FOR YOUR CRAFT. We are dedicated to building software sustainably, using modern techniques. You're always looking for more and better ways to write software, and enthusiastic about sharing them with your team.
- YOU ARE RESPECTFUL, EMPATHETIC, AND HUMBLE. We want you to take your work seriously and be open to personal and professional growth. Successful engineers show everyone respect and consideration.
You'll love working at Stitch Fix because we...
- Are a successful, vibrant, fast-growing company
- Are a technologically and data-driven business.
- Are at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation.
- Are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience.
- Get to be creative every day.
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas.
- Believe in autonomy & taking initiative.
- Have sunny offices in downtown San Francisco, CA, Austin, TX and Pittsburgh, PA, or your home :)
- Full support for remote work—and you get to visit our SF office every few months to connect with your peers and partners.
- Offer transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation based on your level to help eliminate bias in salaries, as well as equity and comprehensive health benefits.
- Are serious about our commitment to life-work balance, and have generous parental leave policies.