This resource will be the technical lead for the team which supports some of our most critical systems. The Principal Engineer I is an advanced technical resource that provides technical leadership to the operations teams, effectively communicates issues and proposed resolutions to senior leadership, and uses vast knowledge and experience to continually improve the environment and customer experience. The ideal candidate must have experience as a technical team lead, be detail oriented, possess strong business acumen, have strong communication skills, and be driven to succeed. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background and have experience as a developer or architect using languages such as Java, .NET, go or python as well as Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, Windows and AWS and automation tools like puppet, ansible and others as well as have deep understanding of all software development disciplines and recommended patterns.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
Create reports, dashboards, and processes to monitor and analyze availability and performance metrics.
Actively participate in decisions to develop and improve security-based standards and practices.
Perform application changes, deployments, and DR tasks on a predefined schedule.
Leverage CI/CD tools and DevOps principles.
Perform advanced troubleshooting and monitoring techniques in a high-pressure environment
Leads code review sessions to validate adherence with development standards
Develops and maintains technical documentation
Serves as final escalation point to resolve incidents and problems for production applications and web services supported by the team
Provide after-hours support on an "as needed" or "on call" basis.
Enhance the customer experience
Support and maintain production and non-production physical, virtual, and containerized application servers.
Create and maintain data flow diagrams, access policies, and application catalog documentation.
Maintain various system health monitoring and reporting tools.
Tests and reviews system designs.
Provides technical support and guidance to DevOps personnel and ensure all technical integration, changes, standards and documentation are met.
Monitor systems performance, reliability, and the daily data processing to identify and resolve complex issues as part of a team.
Ability to work under limited direction and handle multiple assignments simultaneously
Mentor team members accelerating their growth through learning.
Reviews work plans and designs and advises on improvements.
Experienced, strategic technical thinker
Knows, understands and follows company policy.
Performs other duties as requested by manager.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Extremely high level ability to write technical documentation to be referenced by technical peers and senior leadership in a knowledge base.
- Advanced ability to troubleshoot application problems
- Proven leadership abilities including ability to share knowledge, resolve conflict and create consensus
- In depth knowledge of and experience with development tools, application frameworks, and testing tools
- Experience writing advanced Python and/or shell scripts and batch files
- Experience using source control and deployment tools, such as Automic, Jenkins, Git, and/or Puppet
- Advanced knowledge of of network and PC operating systems, including Linux, Unix and Windows.
- Advanced knowledge of containerization and virtualization technologies such as Docker and various hypervisors
- Advanced knowledge software development methodologies
- Advanced knowledge of monitoring and diagnostic tools such as SolarWinds, Splunk, or AppDynamics
- Ability to perform duties in a very fast pace environment and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Ability to use personal computer and software applications
Masters or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experience
Related Work Experience
5-10 Years - Engineering work experience
5-10 Years - Coding, testing and design experience PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Skills /Abilities and Knowledge
Knowledge of company products and services
2 years related work experience with Avaya Telecommunications (Common Telephony Concepts, Avaya JTAPI/TSAPI, CMS Reporting, SIP, VXML and CCXML development)Education
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
Industry and vendor specific certifications and training preferred (Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, etc.)WORKING CONDITIONS