Location open however Valparaiso preferred
Job Summary :
Lead complex and non-recurring special projects, initiatives and teams including Gas TDSIC engineeringresponsibilities. Deliver technical leadership, process and design standardization, and peer development across gas engineering. This effort supplements engineering managers and leaders as a leadership resource with responsibilities beyond the expected capabilities of a field engineer.
Sponsor and provide guidance to a system-wide gas transmission and distribution design philosophy. Use advanced knowledge in engineering to provide direction in the creation, documentation, and performance of gas design standards, legal/regulatory and quality compliance standards, safety, recommended best practices, work scope determination, budgeting, scheduling, material procurement, cost control, specification preparation, bid evaluation, contract administration, contractor management and documentation of work performed. Demonstrates leadership and mentoring to all Gas Engineering personnel with timely technical input and economic evaluations to support efforts to assure cost effective and technically balanced decision-making.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Display leadership and support to provide a safe work environment during normal and storm-related work activities.
- Provide the opportunity for all employees to reach their maximum potential through coaching, constructive communication, clarity of purpose and direction, encouragement to utilize the training and development resources available. Actively support employees in their quest for job satisfaction and career development utilizing available resources. Create a supportive environment by building effective relationships, treating people with dignity and soliciting feedback to improve effectiveness.
- Works internally with Gas Project Engineers, Gas Planning, Gas Operations, DistributionEngineering and Operations, Technical Services, Gas Compliance Integrity, Plant Operations, Major Accounts and Construction regarding the installation and maintenance of new and existing gas facilities
- Support the Manager of Gas Engineering as directed. Act as Leader in cases of the Managers absence.
- Provides direction and support of continuing operations in compliance with all applicable internal, state and federal regulations, including entities such as the IURC, DOT, NERC, NFPA and PHMSA.
- Lead and maintain strategic alliances with contractors and major equipment suppliers to maintain a competitive edge while identifying operational and maintenance advantages.
- Provide sponsorship, coaching and training to engineering personnel in the proper use of the Transmission and DistributionEngineering policies, recommended best practices, and project management guidelines.
- Direct activities in a manner that ensures the safest, quickest, and most reliable restoration of service during emergencies.
- Perform, compose, estimate, review and direct engineering studies and reports as requested by internal and external entities.
- Provides expert testimony in cases of root cause analysis, litigation, and other inquiries.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Required for Selection:
Must have good planning, organizational, verbal and written communications skills. Ability to perform duties effectively under emergency and contingency situations. High level of knowledge in safe, reliable, and compliant transmission and distribution gas system operations and design. Ability to supervise, support, and guide employees and contractors in a technical environment. Must be proficient in the selection and application of proper engineering principles and techniques. In-depth knowledge and advanced skills in Project Management. Ability to motivate people. Able to coach and develop employees. Ability to encourage teamwork and motivate participation. Exhibit strong inter-personal and organizational skills. Advanced ability of public speaking, presenting, and communicating to diverse personnel ranging from field employees to regulators.Exhibit strong technical writing skills. Capability to efficiently perform duties under stringent deadlines, schedules, and conditions. Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel. Possess strong PC skills for engineering, communications, reports, databases and spreadsheets. Working knowledge of budgeting practices and scheduling. Working knowledge of Root Cause Analysis. Use and interpret various types of mechanical, electrical, and civil drawings such as physical, schematic, plan and profile, and land surveys.
Required for Selection:
- 5years of related engineeringexperience.
- Demonstrated expertise and capabilities in project management.
- Experience and knowledge that meets the requirements as set forth in the engineering advancement criteria.
- Knowledge of company and industry codes, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Bachelors degree in engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Preferred for Selection:
- Knowledge in the business sense of a competitive, economic, environment. Advanced estimating and project management skills. Ability to build advanced spreadsheets for budgeting and analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical business applications and systems used by gas engineering (e.g. WMS, MLOG / Maximo; Synergee, AutoCad; GIS; GasCalc; Pipeline ToolBox. Working knowledge of Gas Asset Management / Budgeting Process.
- Masters in Business Administration. PMP certification. Professional Engineers license.