Instructure was founded to define, develop, and deploy superior, easy-to-use software. (And that's what we did / do / will keep on doing.) We are dedicated to the fight against iffy, mothbally, shoddy software. We make better, more usable tools for teaching and learning (you know, stuff people will actually use). A better connected and more open education technology ecosystem. And more effective ways for everyone everywhere to access education, make discoveries, share knowledge, be inspired, and do big things. We accomplish all this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome. So here's your opportunity.
Instructure is seeking a passionate, experienced principal software engineer to be a key contributor and leader on our Canvas product.
- Lead by example, consistently delivering high quality software on time
- Induce collaboration between engineering teams in the Canvas space
- Technically lead teams in building new and updated infrastructure to scale both horizontally and vertically
- An ideal candidate solves complex problems with simple solutions, has professional experience scaling SAAS services and web apps with a large, concurrent user base, and can communicate extremely well both in and across teams.
What we look for:
- 10+ years in software development, including significant web application software and/or SAAS architecture experience
- Expert level knowledge in at least one programming language
- Mastery of your chosen tools.
- Knowledge of Agile best practices.
- BS in Computer Science or related degree preferred.
- Experience with large scale Ruby on Rails or Node.js apps
- Expertise in distributed relational databases, particularly PostgreSQL
- Open source operations experience (Linux, etc)
- Experience in deploying to and maintaining Amazon Web Services hosted applications