Eaton has an opening for a Principal Engineer, Hybrid Power Systems on the Corporate Research &Technology team in Southfield, Michigan. Corporate Research &Technology (CRT) focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impacttechnologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers’ with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions. The Hybrid Power team has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses in the area of electro-mechanical, electro-hydraulic, and/or hydro-mechanical power systems. The Principal Engineer is expected to own thetechnology strategy and execution for broad applications within the Hybrid Power team. This includes acquiring resources, funding and establishing keypartnerships bothinternally and externally to drive technological advancement. They will beresponsible for meeting theschedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all research and development efforts under his/her control. The Principal Engineer should serve as a subject matter expert within the area of Hybrid Power for Eaton. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with the external technical community and academia, active participation in industry or technical groups andevents,publishing papers, etc. Finally, as a subject matter expertinternally, the Principal Engineer will be expected to mentor junior staff and consult withinternal business &engineering customers. Essential Functions include:
- Leads complex global technology realization programs/projects involving multiple stakeholders external to Eaton utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews. (external partners include universities, National Labs, government entities, manufacturing partners, etc.)
- Project leads are the single point of contact for the entire project. Responsible for creating, executing and tracking all the milestones for the entire project. Assigns roles and responsibilities for the project team members.
- Program leads are responsible for setting the strategy for an entire program that can encompass multiple projects. Responsible to assign project leads and technical leads for all program activities. The single point of contact to upper management for all program activities.
- Complexity at this level includes multiyear projects and multi-million dollar projects
- Understand program/project risks and is able to influence key stakeholders to make pivot/persevere decisions
- Influences, resolves and communicates major changes in projects or programs to cross functional teams across all levels in the company
- Serve as (or support) Program Managers in the development of detailed project plans and value proposition. Lead globally diverse cross-functional project teams effectively and manage selected projects under the guidelines of our internal stage-gate process.
- Leads the development of and owns global strategies for technology roadmaps for broad applications that are linked to and supportive of the overall CRT and business strategies.
- Influences the business strategy and associated product roadmaps as a result of technical expertise and reputation as trusted advisor
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or ElectricalEngineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 10 years of post-degreeexperience with industry exposure in the design and optimization of hybrid power systems, including system level modeling to conduct trade studies and down-select architectures for electro-mechanical, electro-hydraulic, and/or hydro-mechanical systems, components, and controls
- Key contact and recognition at SVP level
- Should be recognized externally as a subject matter expert (possesses unique authoritative technical knowledge in field). This may be evident through invitations to present a technical presentation or publish in a technical journal as SME to an audience of technical/industry peers
- Recognized as a role model among Eaton peers and outside of Eaton in terms of technical stature
- Expected to have experience with multiple new application though new product introduction with proven revenue from new products/services
- Can influence, resolve and communicate major changes to cross functional teams across the company
- Possesses a broad strategic vision of the company’s future products and services
- Demonstrates advanced level in all engineering competencies
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or ElectricalEngineering from an accredited institution
- DFSS Black Belt
Eaton is a power management company with 2016sales of $19.7 billion. We provide energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton has approximately 95,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com. At Eaton we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently – if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you – then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Requisition ID: 038720