Overall Purpose of Job
Work with the design and manufacturing groups to develop robust, sustainable products that meet customer expectations and are cost effective to manufacture.
Responsible for providing software design, implementation, and testing of embedded software used in healthcare institutions to program, monitor and report intravenous infusion therapies.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Perform software design based on input from clinical users, characteristics of the existing software base, consultation with other engineering staff, and system functional requirements
- Perform software implementation, following coding guidelines and taking into account system characteristics to produce optimal performance, reliability, and maintainability
- Conduct software evaluation and testing of own software, software from other engineering staff, and third-party software
- Provide a test plan for use by other engineering staff, quality assurance and support departments in validating a new implementation
- Provide technical documentation for the design, implementation and testing of the software
- Attend design review meetings as needed to adhere to the software development procedures
- Document and repair errors related to fielded software issues
- Assist the engineering staff in clarifying requests for software changes and understand reported problems
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering and 2+ yrs of experience. For example: Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Cognitive Science or Mathematics. 8 years of relevant work experience will be considered in place of the degree
- Strong C++ or C skills and software design for multi-threading and multi-processor application.
- Strong Object Oriented design skills, including state machine and event driven design.
- Preferred knowledge in embedded User Interface design and display device control.
- Preferred knowledge in hardware-software interface and network communication.
- Preferred knowledge in Hard Real Time Control and inter-processor communication.
- Familiar with the microcontrollers and microprocessors such as ARM Application and Cortex architecture.
- Ability to plan and organize
- Ability to work with little supervision and under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Experience of working in a collaborative engineering environment
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
Additional Skills and Qualifications are nice to have:
- Knowing one or more of the Development IDEs such as IAR, Keil, Eclipse, and/or Visual Studio
- Knowledge in JTAG debugging and error handling.
- Experience with developing unit tests, test automation, and familiarity with UT frameworks (ex. CPPUnit, LDRA, Coverity, Parasoft)
- Knowing Python, Build Utilities, code analysis tools is plus
- Knowing Quantum State Machine, ThreadX, SMX is plus.
- Knowing XSLT, XML, HTML, is plus
- Design for Six Sigma knowledge would be highly advantageous
- Knowledge of international standards applicable to medical devices / risk management including ISO 60601-1, ISO 14971, IEC 62304
- Familiarity with Agile / Scrum methodologies is desired.
- Experience with data acquisition, analysis, and statistical methods.
- Experience in design verification of Medical Device in a FDA-regulated environment is preferred.
Employees may be expected to travel and remain away from home for short periods of time where necessary to meet appropriate training and work objectives. The duration is normally a week or less but longer periods may occasionally be required.