What will you do at Ciena?
We are looking for talented engineers to join our team and develop our next generation operating system for both Ciena and industry-standard routers and switches. You are passionate and competent working in a team to deliver virtualized networking products based on micro-services and Container based architecture to our customers. This is an exciting time to join Ciena, as 5G and SDN drive transformation of the internet and we aggressively drive our product portfolio forward into the future of advanced networking services.
- Join an Agile scrum team to develop leading router and switching device control features for Ciena’s packet optical product offerings.
- Deliver software in diverse, industry-leading product formats: as virtualized functions for NFV, integrated on Ciena’s advanced packet networking switches, and others.
- Design in an embedded software development environment in C and Python languages using Yocto and BitBake development tools
- Work on Distributed, Disaggregated and Virtualization infrastructure/technologies to enable SDN/NFV and whitebox solutions in Ciena OS running on all packet networking platforms
- Become expert in SDN paradigms and environments, working with micro-services architectures, Linux containers, Kubernetes and Docker/Docker swarm.
- Contribute to software architecture, design, development, validation and documentation of advanced networking features and sophisticated real time system services
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Work with Architects and Marketing on product requirements and deployment scenarios
- Collaborate with QA to verify the software and product work the way customers expect
- Interact with peers in other technology teams to design software interfaces and overall system behavior
Areas of impact
- Software design and architecture, features, and functionality
- Ciena packet solutions from pizza boxes to white box systems to virtual (VNF) components
- Deployment of your work into worldwide networks as Service Providers unify and virtualize their networks, prepare for 5G, and take advantage of SDN and functional disaggregation.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related discipline
- Knowledge and/or experience with Netconf/Yang, Google Protocol Buffers, Dockers, Docker swarm, Kubernetes, SDN/NFV, Redis datastore, ISSU, HA, NSR and Performance/Scale is required
- Prior Distributed, Disaggregated infrastructure and Distributed Infrastructure for highly scalable disaggregated router experience is required
- Experience in container orchestration in a distributed architecture, to manage multiple containers deployed across multiple host machines is preferred.
- Experience with JSON development, Network Orchestration API’s and working in an Agile/Scrum environment would be preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate high proficiency in C/C++, Python and networking concepts
- Hands on prior experience in Linux based software development for embedded systems
- Sound knowledge of design principles, distributed architectures, data structures and algorithms
- Excellent communication written and verbal communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment
- Excellent analytical and problems solving skills to diagnose and resolve customer issues
- Demonstrable self-initiative and “can do” attitude to find and implement solutions for customers