We are looking for a Principal Engineer who relishes responsibility and has the interpersonal and engineering skills to collaborate, evangelize, and put state-of-the-art research into practice. As a Principal Engineer on our Checkout Platform team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the platform of services responsible for taking and managing orders and the interactions between them. You’ll be focused on the resiliency, scale, latency, and throughput required to help Grubhub continue to meet demand. They also need to be evangelists and collaborators. Our Checkout systems are a mix of high scale and data integration. As such, our products require collaboration between engineers, decision scientists, data analysts, a proven operations team, and a product team that’s thinking end-to-end.
The Impact You Will Make
- Provide input to shape the charter and structure of the checkout platform
- Help lead Grubhub’s continued expansion into all aspects of our business including corporate, enterprise, campus, and in-store by further scaling our systems and teams
- Help improve and mature the ‘crown jewel’ checkout systems of Grubhub.
- Help extend the effectiveness of the current team through coaching and mentoring
- Build highly-scalable, world-class algorithms that solve difficult optimization, and validation problems. Understand how to translate research into working software.
- Work with product and operations leaders to understand the needs of our business and our customers and provide solutions for those needs.
- Design extensible software architectures that allow GrubHub to be agile and react to changes quickly.
- Design reliable software and processes that allow GrubHub to offer a high-quality experience. Deal with edge cases gracefully and put processes in place to ensure we do everything we can to provide a great experience for each customer.
- Contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies, and pioneer within your team and the organization.
- Work with our SRE team to improve Operational Excellence
What You Bring to the Table
- Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field and 10+ years experience building highly-scalable applications (eCommerce preferred)
- Proven ability to devise, build and release complex technical systems
- Direct experience with marketplaces, high throughput application, and/or event-driven architectures
- Collaborate with C-level executives and across broad organizations including product, operations, finance, and care
- Demonstrated experience launching new products in high growth markets
- Familiarity and comfort with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage trade offs, and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching technical architecture.
- Experience with real-time platforms
- Familiar with Agile methodologies
- Java, C#, C++, Go, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing testable, fault-tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings.
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + Jmeter/Gatling.io)
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB), distributed and or relational databases is desired
- Familiarity or experience with non-blocking, multi-threaded applications, event sourcing, or multi-region applications will be a plus.