We are a great place to work. Fortune, in association with Great Place to Work, named us among the World's Best Workplaces. We ranked #10 out of the 25 companies on the list. This list highlights companies that have gone above and beyond to create a great workplace for employees all over the world. Fortune also named us one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in the United States. This is the seventh consecutive year we have been on the list, and we ranked 16 out of 100.
We aspire to create a place where hard work, humility, honesty, a sense of service and humor are the talk we walk. We are a very diverse group with an amazing set of experiences from bio-tech and high-tech companies. If that doesn't pique your interest, we've got scientists, motorcycle racers, some serious sailors, biking enthusiasts, whiteboard artists, videographers, mountain climbers, parents, triathletes, dog owners, avid runners, skiers and snowboarders. And we're always looking for players for our "awful"-ly fun summer volleyball tournament.
We combine laughter with intensity and focus. We have fantastic office space in the amazing Redmond-Woodinville Valley (yes, free parking), down the street from "Washington Wine Country". We pay competitively, and offer full benefits to our Team Members.
What You Will Do
As a member of the Research & Development engineering team performing engineering work in basic and applied research, development, design and test of new products and/or iterations to existing products. Work includes the design, fabrication, modification, evaluation, and documentation of electronic components, circuitry and systems for use in medical devices. Work is performed without appreciable direction. May provide training and/or direction to lower levels of enqineering staff and technicians. Develops technical solutions to complex problems that require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity by applying extensive technical expertise and full knowledge of other related disciplines. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long-term perspective for desired results. Represents the organization as the primary technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations. Recognized divisionally for their expertise, mentoring, knowledge and influence.
- Guide the successful completion of major programs and may function in a project leadership role, including supervising the designs of electronic circuit and/or components of high complexity, through feasibility assessment, requirements capture, part selection, schematics capture, simulation, performing or guiding layout, board bring-up & test, and software integration, design for EMC and manufacturability (DFM).
- Research, develop, design, test, and document electrical components, equipment and systems.
- Develop system level strategies and lead design, development, testing and refinement of components and sub-systems. Own/lead all phases of product development/sustaining lifecycle.
- Possess and apply a broad knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of electronic engineering to the completion of complex and difficult assignments that include cross-functional dependencies.
- Recommend design modifications and strategy adjustments as indicated by analysis, test and usage, while supervising/reporting progress and evaluating results.
- Development of prototypes used to evaluate new and/or updated product concepts.
- Independently determines and develops solutions to solve complex engineering problems and drives the technical and program leadership towards the solution path.
- Utilizes, and mentor's others in utilizing, electronic lab test equipment, such as logic analyzers and oscilloscopes to debug circuit and system issues.
- Implements and/or reviews engineering documentation of high complexity, reporting observations/problems clearly and concisely, recognizing and highlighting specific paths or solutions, while ensuring compliance with design criteria and standards.
- Works with minimum supervision, conferring with supervisor on unusual matters.
- Assignments are broad in nature, requiring originality, ingenuity and strategic thinking.
- Plans, coordinates and provides technical leadership for larger-scale engineering projects or multiple medium/small projects, while acting as a technical specialist for a specific section.
- Coordinates and executes translation of system performance and operational specifications into electrical plans, requirements, specifications, designs and test plans and protocols.
- Works with cross functional teams to drive consensus on difficult system-level tradeoffs to solve issues and provide architectural and product content guidance.
- Mentor's, supervises and/or leads, other engineers within the same project and/or designers at contracted or partner companies and affiliated organizations. Provides performance feedback for more junior engineers and technicians.
- Maintain a solid understanding of IPC, IEC, ISO and FDA regulations as related to electronics design.
- Completes and maintains all required quality system training and complies with all quality system procedures. Recommends changes in procedures and processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Coordinates and conducts feasibility studies, determines manpower and cost estimates, and develops engineering criteria.
- Coordinates and conducts root cause analysis and risk analysis, developing and implementing corrective actions.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of industry developments and new technologies.
- Monitors projects and recommends changes to improve operating efficiency.
- Develops, justifies, and implements cross-functional product and process improvements.
- Consults/advises internally and externally in technology domains.
What You Need
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience
- 10+ years directly related experience
What We Would Love That You Have (preferred qualifications)
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years experience developing products in a regulated industry such as medical or avionics, with demonstrated design experience in safety critical hardware design, including experience serving as a technical mentor or project lead.
- Experience and success with leading concept-to-production engineering, including high level design, detailed design, schematic entry, analog simulation, layout management, prototype assembly logistics, board bring-up, lab debugging, system integration, design verification, and manufacturing handoff.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principle, theories, and concepts in the field of electrical engineering, including but not limited to power supplies, precision low level analog designs, A/D and D/A converters, battery chargers and monitor circuits and FPGA designs.
- Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, enthusiastic, motivated and self-driven.
- Time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Experience with product lifecycle management tools.
- Experience with Cadence, or equivalent, for schematic capture and PCB layout.
- Experience with circuit simulations tools
- Proficient with MS Office tools.
- Strong Knowledge of the IEC 60601-x and 60601-x-x standards.
- Experience with signal processing, algorithm development, and data analysis.
- Experience leading electromechanical embedded system design projects, including packaging for portability and ruggedness
- Experience with embedded software design
- Demonstrated understanding of, and ability to, follow good electrical development processes, along with assisting others through the process.
Other Things to Consider
- Office and light manufacturing environment requiring significant use of standard office equipment, including computer keyboard, monitor, and mouse
- Position may require some domestic and/or international travel, and extended hours as needed