DJO’s Recovery Sciences business is the leading global provider of high-quality clinical equipment for rehabilitation and pain management used by physical therapists, occupational therapists, athletic trainers, and chiropractors. To improve our position even further, Recovery Sciences is focused on accelerating the pace of new product development and better integrating our global product offering to meet the changing needs of clinicians. Recovery Sciences R&D supports both the Chattanooga and Compex brands. Additionally, with the recent acquisition of LiteCure the team also supports the LightForce and Companion brands.
The Principal Electrical Design Engineer will work with a high performing product development team to extend our current product offering with innovative hardware/firmware solutions. This role will be specifically focused on developing hardware/firmware that controls neuromuscular electrical stimulation, ultrasound, laser and mechanical traction devices. Additionally, this role will contribute to the evolution of connecting devices via network technologies to improve the workflow in clinical settings.
- Design, develop, implement and verify hardware/firmware for medical devices
- Component selection; Analog and Digital design; Programmable logic design (VHDL)
- Schematic capture; Oversee and/or perform PCB layout; ability to contribute to all phases of PCBA development
- Create/modify C/C++ firmware running microcontrollers on PCBA
- Participate in the creation and execution of design verification activities such as bench testing and EMC/Safety testing
- Utilize electrical engineering tools such as oscilloscopes, meters and simulators to troubleshoot/confirm designs
- Utilize knowledge of IEC-60601 and collateral standards to achieve compliant designs with minimal rework
- Evaluate products, parts, or processes for cost efficiency and reliability and ensure project completion
- Improve and maintain existing hardware/firmware for electro-therapy products
- Assist with the development of electrical system architectures
- Contribute to new product development project success in a multidisciplinary, international team
- Demonstrate an understanding of design control requirements for medical devices and successfully navigate the product development process to release successful products to the market
- Work for elegant, subtle, innovative, cost effective and reliable solutions
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities affecting new product development and sustaining processes
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or a similar field
- 8-10 years experience in hardware/firmware design, preferably in Medical Device Industry or other highly regulated environment
- Proficient in C, C++ in the context of embedded microcontroller applications
- Ability to work under strong timing and performance pressure
- Strong team spirit and ability to evolve in an international and multi-cultural environment
- Proven track record with hardware, firmware, and systems development:
- Focus on high power analog design, e.g., laser diode drivers, power supplies
- Expert knowledge of Altium – schematic capture, circuit simulation, PCB layout, PCA fabrication
- Proven track record regarding EMC design, testing & certification to IEC 60601-1-2:
- design for EMC compliance
- Prepare EMC plans and setups
- support/follow up testing in labs
- Review reports to give feedback in order to have reliable and sustainable documents
- Expert with IEC 60601-1 – Medical Safety Testing and collateral standards
- Experience working on Class II Medical Devices and appropriate use of Risk Management standard ISO 14971
- Motivation and interest to work in the highly regulated medical devices world
- Demonstrated understanding of user experience and user centered design
- Capable of transforming business requirements into technical design
- Additional beneficial skills:
- Design Controls and/or Quality Management Systems training
- Experience in battery powered designs with limited resources (battery, processor power, space and costs)
- Experience with Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation, Ultrasound, Laser Photo Biomodulation Therapies
- Experience with optical design methodology and fiber optics
- Technical Skills – Demonstrates eagerness to acquire necessary technical knowledge, skills and judgment to serve customer needs and accomplish goals. Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Quality Management – Demonstrates attention to detail. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Communicates changes and progress.
- Analytical and Mathematical Skills – Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively. Varies writing style to meet needs. Able to read and interpret written information. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Verbal Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification.
- Interpersonal Skills – Ability to work with co-workers and customers, both internal and external, of all levels. Ability to professionally interact and build constructive and effective relationships. Ability to effectively interface with others on behalf of the organization.
- Problem Solving – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Decision Making – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Includes appropriate people in decision-making process. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Adaptability – Embraces and adapts to change and demonstrates a willingness to learn. Ability to respond quickly to change, and to prioritize actions to meet customer needs.
- Collaboration and Teamwork – Works collaboratively and cooperatively with teams cross-functionally. Energetic and willingness to work closely with all team members to achieve success.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions. Develops a strong grasp of business concepts and related issues. Shows understanding of issues relevant to organization. Keeps up to date with current practices and trends. Develops and uses cross-functional knowledge.
- Customer Orientation – Demonstrates a keen understanding of various customers’ (internal or external) needs and utilizes a variety of resources to provide solutions and a compelling value proposition.
- Computer Skills – Proficient computer system-based tools including Microsoft Office applications, e-mail, web browsers and spreadsheet software. Experience with Salesforce.com preferred.