Principal Network Engineer Architect
1. Network Architecture and Design:
- Define the network strategy and roadmap.
- Act as a leader within the GNS organization.
- Lead, and or participate, the longer-term evolution of the network environment
- Identify and evaluate new systems, technologies and services and develop them to an operational capability
- Enable standards and policies to reduce repeated effort for deployment and operations
- Monitor the development of new standards within the data and voice networking industry with attention to the impact on the SPE networking environment.
- Work with business and product leaders to understand business requirements and help them understand how technologytradeoffs influence strategy.
- Establish and maintain key relationships with business partners, other IT groups and service providers
- Technical communications and consulting
- Analyze business and market needs and translate them into actionable architectural requirements.
- Develop business cases for strategic concepts that will become products and services.
- Operate as lead architect within a team of technical leads, each with individual specializations, to create a coherent and advanced architecture and offering
- Continually assess the existing environment and identify opportunities for improving solutions and service
2. IT Operations Support:
- Act as the highest resource for problem determination and resolution and assist network engineers with the diagnosis of complex network issues.
- Participate in the development of operational procedures and policies.
- Participate in the change control, production acceptance and event management processes.
- Communicate change requests, issues and resolutions, event status as well other important matters to all areas of IT and customer departments.
- Develop the knowledge base and expertise of the GNS organization.
3. Develop and maintain project plans for medium to large sized system projects:
4. Provide oral and written status reports to IT management and customers:
Detailed knowledge of Cisco hardware platforms, switching, routing (including EIGRP, BGP), IOS, IPv4, IPv6, TCP, cabling infrastructure, firewalls, remote access systems, wireless, MPLS VPN, multicast, WANacceleration, wide area networking technologies, DNS/DHCP/NTP, authentication technologies, 802.1x, spanning-tree, layer 2 security, RADIUS/TACACS, QoS, load-balancing.
Strong awareness of non-networking IT disciplines such as Windows and Linux server systems, clustering, storage area networks, RSA, information security, PKI, Active Directory, multi-tiered application architecture.
- Minimum 5 years employment in the IT industry working with a major systems and vendors.
- Minimum 5 years experience with Cisco based network environments
- Minimum 5 years experience with multi-tiered networkinfrastructure environment
- Minimum 3 years experience of defining and realizing major technology initiatives (+12 month duration)
- Previous IT project management experience across multiple IT disciplines.
- Experience with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Systems is a plus
- Bachelordegree or equivalent experiencepreferred.
- All major networking and related technology concepts
- Proficient in all major Cisco networking products, including LAN, WAN and Security platforms
- IP and VoIP network design and routing architectures
- Expert level capability in a number of networktechnology areas
- Operational and support functions and associated challenges in managing a network environment
- Information Security as applied to networking and other IT domains
- Proven ability to create and maintain complex networkarchitectures and solutions
- Creating technical diagrams, presentations and othernetworking documentation
- Developing standards, policies and procedures
- Technical troubleshooting and problem determination
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively with team members, clients and other IT areas
- Strong written and oral communications
- Comprehensive network design experience
- Proficient project management
- Handle multiple tasks and be flexible in a fast paced environment
- Analyze an existing environment, new requirements and new technologies and the capability of the organization and develop a realistic and achievable networking strategy
- Concisely explain technical problems and solutions to different levels of the organization
- Build and maintain positive relationships with IT organizations, business clients and vendors
- Critically assess and interpret business requests to understand real underlying requirements, define problems, establish facts and determine valid conclusions
- Innovate new and compelling solutions or approaches to existing problems or inefficiencies in the environment
- Remain open-minded to more effective alternatives to existing solutions and practices