Description:The Principal Data Warehouse Engineer is a senior member of the Informatics EDW group which builds and supports the Enterprise Data Warehouse to deliver strategic business value to the organization. The Principal DW Engineer will collaborate with product owners to plan and define requirements, and then with the implementation team to design, develop, test and maintain a high performance data warehouse environment. The DW architecture delivers BI capabilities including pre-defined, ad-hoc, dynamic reporting, OLAP analysis, and dashboards as well as data sharing interfaces with other systems.
Design, develop, test, and support the data warehouse solution. Adapt best practices and industry standards to the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington environment, ensuring top quality deliverables and playing an integral role in cross-functional system integration. Identify emerging trends/technologies and incorporate into the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington Data Warehouse as appropriate.
Lead in an Agile team environment to deliver EDW/BI business value as defined by a Product Owner, by providing high quality and performant EDW/BI solutions. Know the business value of your work and ensure team success in meeting sprint commitments; be flexible, show initiative and develop additional skill sets to improve team capabilities and throughput.
Lead and Mentor other team members in DW best practices and development processes; assist other teams as a technical and/or subject area SME.
- Minimum ten (10) or more years demonstrated experience in three or more of the following: Data analysis; requirements gathering; data modeling; ETL; ELT, quality assurance; testing of DW systems; BI reporting.
- Minimum ten (10) or more years Information systems experience in a Data warehouse/business intelligence, measurement or application development environment.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
License, Certification, Registration
- Experience with ETL and ELT.
- Experience with Quality Assurance and Testing in a relational database environment.
- Experience in the implementation of end user analytical toolsets.
- Experience working in an agile development methodology.
- Experience designing Data Management processes and standards for Metadata Management, Data Architecture, Data Quality, and Data Security.
- Demonstrated experience developing measurement, business intelligence, and data warehousing solutions.
- Hands-on programming and database design skills (primarily SQL and stored procedures).
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent spoken, listening and written communication at various levels of the business.
- Ability to select and apply highly technical and specialized toolsets and quickly to adapt to changes and advances in technology for Data Warehousing (RDBMS, ETL, etc.), OLAP and BI systems.
- Strong data warehouse modeling expertise (i.e. integrated model, and star/snowflake schema data model).
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse (BIDW) data modelling best practices.
- Ten (10) or more years experience and demonstrated success in multidisciplinary roles in complex data warehouse, business intelligence or measurement projects.
- Five (5) years of experience and demonstrated knowledge of Agile DW/BI best practices.
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree in computer sciences, mathematics, business administration, MIS, health care or public administration.
- Demonstrated success in multidisciplinary roles in complex data warehouse, business intelligence or measurement projects.
- Utilizing Agile methodologies for DW/BI solutions.