Providence is calling a Principal Data Engineer - PSJH to Providence Health & Services in one of the following Locations: Renton WA, Beaverton OR, or Portland OR. We are seeking a Principal Data Engineer to design and build modern data-centric software applications to support clinical and operational processes across all parts of the health system. These applications leverage cloud computing, big data, mobile, data science, and modern software development methodologies and frameworks. Data Engineers build data pipelines, enrichment processes, provisioning layers, APIs and user interfaces to meet the requirements of key initiatives. The Principal Data Engineer will take point on development of best practices and standards across the engineering team and participate in research and development of new technologies. A Principal Data Engineer should be able to and emphasize mentoring less experienced Data Engineers and training the team, as needed, to develop a robust skillset among the entire team. Strongly encourages and places a priority on collaboration with meticulous source control and documentation. An emphasis on simple solutions to complex problems through the use of modern and emerging methods and tools is critical. This position will works closely with the Product, Platform, and Architecture teams to deliver on joint efforts.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Design, build and deliver quantitative applications that improve operations and generate value
- Participate in DevOps, Agile, and continuous integration frameworks
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies, open source projects, and best practices in the field
- Data warehousing, big data, enterprise search, business intelligence, analytics, modern and mobile applications
- Build processes that are fault-tolerant, self-healing, reliable, resilient and secure
- Work effectively and in real-time with other developers, product managers, and customers to deliver on collective goals
- Actively participate in code reviews, support the overall code base, and support the establishment of standard processes and frameworks. Take a lead role in the development of standard practices and enforce following standard processes.
- Will mentor and bring Jr. developers up to speed.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, MIS or similar field.
- 10+ years in technology roles.
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Promotes information sharing
- Ability to work within tight timeframes and meet strict deadlines.
- Possesses strong technical Aptitude.
- Cloud computing, Linux, Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Hbase, Kudu and NoSQL platforms in general; Apache Solr and Lucene
- Java, Scala, C#, Python, shell scripting and/or similar languages
- Relational database platforms, database design, and SQL
- APIs, JSON, REST and other relevant W3C open standards
- Modern application development frameworks
- Familiarity with commercial or open source ETL tools
Preferred qualifications for this position include: