Charged with inspiring a common vision for defending NM’s enterprise, the Principal Cyber Security Engineer reports to the VP of Cyber Security and is the chief defensive advisor to our technical teams and senior leadership. This role provides actionable thought leadership across our Cyber Defense (Red, Blue, Purple teams), Threat Management, and our front-line security partners. She/He/They will challenge how we approach security practices to ensure the appropriate coverage and effectiveness of our capabilities. The engineer will have direct oversight of threat intelligence, enterprise threat modeling, vulnerability management, and be a core influencer of our security strategy & investments.
- Ensures cohesive and evolving approaches to cyber defense and threat management capabilities.
- Responsible for mentoring, educating, and coaching engineers and leaders across the organization on progressive cyber defense capabilities and tactics.
- Manages relationships with other department leaders and SMEs in order to ensure the organization's cyber security capabilities are aligned, integrated, and effective.
- Partners closely with Enterprise Architecture to ensure security is enabling and shaping capabilities needed by our business stakeholders.
- Analyzes intelligence, collected data, and news for changes in the threat landscape to advocate for rapid response and improvements in our defensive capabilities/posture.
- Builds relationships with business clients and gains broad knowledge of their business through active feedback sessions and socialization of our security strategy.
- Acts as senior advisor to Cyber Defense and technical teams in times of crisis.
- Collaborates & influences Red, Blue, and Purple team activities.
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to shape requirements and processes as needed. Must have experience developing business cases and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders.
- Highly technical and analytical hands-on experience in recent professional, educational, or personal projects.
- Proven people leadership skills including the ability to run tiger teams and complex projects.
- Ability to articulate & justify detailed security requirements.
- Minimum 10 or more years of technical experience with at least 5 years of technology and business/industry influence as a technology, engineering or program leader with associated experience in related infrastructure, systems, and technologies.
- Broad experience designing & implementing progressive cybersecurity practices and technologies.
- Experience with engineering/IT best practices to include analyzing, designing, developing, deploying, and supporting solutions, and/or infrastructure implementations/upgrades.
- Ability to be a thought leader in the security industry demonstrated by contributing to industry working groups and events.
- Ability to explain technical solutions to technical and non-technical teams.
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, MIS or related field; or equivalent related work experience.