Microsoft Digital builds the experiences that Microsoft runs on each day. Our Microsoft Digital Studio team plays a critical role by bringing together expertise in design, research, and accessibility to create experiences that empower our fellow employees and partners to achieve more in their lives. We are responsible for Customer Zero.
We are seeking a Principal Creative Director to lead a team of designers in interaction, visual, motion and front-end engineering. This team is responsible for designing patterns, guidelines, and interaction models for our coherent design system, as well as illustrations, brand, voice, video and more that fuel the horizontal experiences that span our company. This is a critical role in building cohesive end-to-end experiences across all our Employee Experiences. This person is well versed in all stages of the product development cycle, has a solid user centered and product design process, and has a diverse and extensive portfolio which includes people management and examples of thriving in a fast-paced environment. Leading by example is a critical skill as is creative problem solving, articulating a strong design point of view and working strategically with partners. Professionals in this role must work collaboratively and thrive at juggling multiple projects at the same time while managing diverse teams working on various projects under differing deadlines.
- Mentor, manage and encourage creative team members by fostering a positive, inclusive and invigorating work environment while also being responsible for their professional growth
- Ruthlessly prioritize and set a high-quality bar in design output while always representing the user needs
- Create and lead the strategy for coherent output in interaction models, visual assets such as themes, illustrations, and content that drive a unified employee/customer experience across product experiences
- Effectively communicate design strategies, concepts and solutions to peers, partners, stakeholders and executive leadership throughout the organization
- Anticipate problems that may impede a project from completing on time and implement solutions
- Align on priorities and build deep engagements with partners around the globe - engineering, PM, Data, and Researchers with demonstrated ability to work effectively
- Drive design resources, schedules, process, and priorities of design activities for teams
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills
- A portfolio demonstrating expertise in designing (and delivering from conception to creation) delightful, well-crafted products and experiences. We are looking for portfolios that demonstrate a sophisticated approach to visual design and brand expression as well as deep systems thinking. The desired candidate is able to create gorgeous designs, and is also a deep critical UX thinker
- A university or college degree, or equivalent, in Visual Communication Design, Interface Design, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Architecture etc.
- 10+ years' experience as a designer and/or creative director
- 8+ years in managing creative diverse teams
- Experience with visual style guidelines/playbooks, competitor analysis, and heuristic analysis
- Strong visual design skills, and ability to apply and extend a design language
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects), Figma and Sketch (or equivalent)
- Understanding and proven execution of design fundamentals including typographic systems, iconography, color theory, layout and motion/behavior design
- Experience and proven track record of working with a multi-disciplinary team of UI/UX designers, researchers, software engineers and/or marketing professionals to build and ship digital products