SURGICAL INNOVATIONS set the standard for Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) by creating innovative surgical products and services that focus on obesity and diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, lung, abdominal wall, pelvic region, and the head and neck.
As a Principal Controls Software Engineer working at the Medtronic, you will be a lead contributor to the controls software for the Instrumentation’s robotic subsystem. This involves creating the sophisticated embedded real-time platform and the instrument control software for the operation of the embedded actuator and sensor hardware. In addition, the role will involve supporting the electromechanical design, test, and verification and validation of the core surgical instruments, stapling and ligature instruments with the corresponding control software.
Engineers create our market-leading portfolio of innovations. Combine the best of your experience with training and mentorship to move your career forward. If you want a challenging, energizing, rewarding career that changes lives, join us. Help us bring the next generation of life-changing medical technology to patients worldwide.
If you are a pioneer and would like to have a big impact into the new world of medical robotics – then come join our team!
A Day in the Life
- Design and develop feedback control loop algorithms using Simulink and MATLAB
- Develop controls software for robotic manipulators and surgical instruments
- Integrate and test new controller designs on hardware and with the rest of the robotic platform
- Partner with the greater software organization, systems engineering, and validation groups
- Define and review software requirements
- Conduct software and product hardware-in-loop testing and create model and prototypes
- Review teammates MATLAB/Simulink models and ensure that all software meets quality standards Prepare and participate in design reviews
- Document or participate in the documentation of the software including architecture and design detail, unit testing, anomaly tracking and reports
- Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years of relevant experience OR an advanced degree and 5 years of relevant experience.
Nice to Have
- Proficient use of modeling & simulation software (MATLAB/Simulink strongly preferred)
- Familiarity with multi-body kinematics and dynamics
- Design of position, velocity, and torque feedback controllers
- Implementing and tuning of high-performance feedback control in software
- Signal processing experience (discrete/digital methods and algorithms)
- Experience with real-time software on microprocessor-based systems and developing software in a Linux environment (Ubuntu preferred)
- Integrating mechanical and electrical hardware and software, particularly in an embedded context
- Medical product development process highly desired-regulator processes, safety considerations, hands-on experience with medical/surgical devices/instruments
- Experience with a big company with matrix structures, having already worked with cross functional teams within an international environment
- Fluency in English is required (German a plus)
- Ability to travel up to 25%