Principal Control Engineer - Control Systems and Algorithms Engineer
Ball Aerospace is expanding our expertise to provide exciting and challenging solutions to our customers. Our precision mechatronics and exquisite sensing robotics solutions team works in a fast-paced, highly collaborative development environment to provide continuously evolving capabilities in automation and robotics. We are seeking a robotics control engineer to provide support to a multi-disciplinary development team to implement subassembly level components for a complex, automated, robotics system. Must be self-motivated to perform design activities including developing and testing of control algorithms for mechatronics controls subsystems. Work closely with multi-disciplinary teams to develop mechatronics subsystems in support of a system level robotics effort.
What you'll do:
- Design, develop, and implement software and control algorithms for a broad range of robotics and mechatronics projects in a collaborative environment.
- Develop the forward and reverse kinematic solutions for serial and parallel robots.
- Develop trajectory generation algorithms for systems involving multiple mechanisms in a Multi-DOF space of operations.
- Measure the performance and stability of a closed loop system involving motors and electronics.
- Design controllers for a closed loop mechatronics system.
- Work across mechanical, electrical and software disciplines to develop integrated solutions.
- Select electrical components for driving a network of mechanisms.
- Select parts, design, and layout PCBs to be integrated into higher level electrical assemblies.
- Expectation requires minimal level of direct oversight and the ability to coordinate and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Creatively apply heritage and expertise to solve customer problems in novel and cost-effective ways.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, internal management, and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Strong interest and experience working in aerospace, the intelligence community, defense, robotics, or industrial automation industry is highly desired.
- The ability to obtain a TS/SCI access. Current TS clearance is highly desirable. Current CI Polygraph is highly desirable.
- A desire to be a part of a collaborative, fast paced multidisciplinary team, developing a variety of complex, automated robotics solutions to meet customer mission needs.
- Demonstrated experience to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams in relevant business environments.
- Demonstrated experience in systems engineering processes, including requirements development, concept of operations, requirement allocation, change management, verification and validation is highly desirable.
- Strong presentation skills and experience presenting to peers and external customer/prime contractor technical audiences.
- Experience working and operating within classified program environments is necessary.
- Experience designing, developing, and testing software for operational systems using C/C++ is required.
- Hands-on experience developing control systems and algorithms is required.
- Knowledge of power and signal distribution design techniques for embedded systems including: cable/harness design, connector selection, EMI & EMC shielding, grounding and power dissipation is highly desired.
- Analog/digital circuit design/analysis, PCB layout and routing experience is required.
- Experience developing with MATLAB and Simulink is required.
- Experience with TCP/IP communications is a plus.
- Proven ability to balance multiple projects.
- Experience with embedded software development, including real-time/near real-time multithreaded applications is a plus.
- Working knowledge of ROS (Robotic Operating System) open source platform is highly desirable
- Experience with Ruby/Python, COSMOS and other languages/applications is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Proficiency with MS Office tools.
- Hands on experience and knowledge of the design, build, test, and delivery life cycle is required.
- Desire for working and operating within classified program environments is necessary.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.