ERM is seeking a Principal Consultant – Risk & Safety to join our North America Risk practice team in Houston, TX. As a senior leader, your primary responsibilities will be to provide technical leadership to a team of consultants, deliver high-profile projects, generate new business, and develop excellent client relationships.
This is an excellent opportunity for a senior-level professional looking to advance their career with a global environmental leader, while networking with ERM's global Risk practice team to share best practices across the industry.
- Manage hazard and risk assessments for oil and gas exploration, production, midstream, refining, distribution, and retail facilities through formal safety assessments and safety case development.
- Manage and perform detailed risk studies and robust technically sound analysis based on reasoned argument and defensible data/information. Typical analysis and studies include:
- Process Hazard Analysis (PHA)
- Hazard Identification (HAZID)
- Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOP)
- Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Quantitative Risk Analysis (QRA) models
- Bow-Tie Diagramming (prevention/recovery analysis)
- Consequence modeling
- Cost/benefit analysis
- Safety Integrity Level (SIL) studies
- Certified by Shell to facilitate PHA
- Recommend improvements/changes to design to reduce risk or improve client's operations.
- Manage the preparation and facilitate safety workshops (i.e., HAZIDS, HAZOPS, ALARP), including timely client reporting.
- Manage safety cases, including developing facility descriptions, safety, management system descriptions, and formal safety assessment summaries.
- Prepare high-quality reports with clear diagrams and fully explained analysis and calculations.
- Manage multiple projects within scope/budget/schedule expectations and ensure quality standards on project deliverables.
- Develop and expand client relationships that generate repeat business to grow the Risk practice.
- Prepare technical proposals and participate in business development with existing and new clients.
- Appropriately delegate project assignments to project teams and mentor junior staff.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other ERM employees.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in mechanical, chemical, or process engineering, or related engineering discipline from accredited (by Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) institution in America or from top university abroad.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in safety and risk engineering, preferably in oil and gas.
- In-depth understanding of local off-shore and on-shore safety regulations and safety case requirements in regulated regimes such as Australia and UK.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills; experience writing comprehensive technical reports.
- Certification in field; PE, CSP, or similar registration highly desirable.