Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose – to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
Responsible for working with the Consumer and Retail Services (CRS) leadership team drive consistency, integrity and quality in the application of testing, inspection and certification requirements by global UL staff. In so doing, serve a leadership role as the apparel industry subject matter expert and consultant to internal and external stakeholders to drive UL business success.
Provides representation / leadership with industry and governmental organizations and technical committees for the purpose of gathering strategic insight to upcoming Apparel trends, technical and line-of-business dynamics. This insight will be used to position UL in a market leadership role to capture growth opportunities. Responsible for ensuring new and changing industry information is identified, timely conveyed to relevant personnel, providing training and necessary technical support for growing business through the development of new and strategic services.
Will effectively coordinate and collaborate with the other subject matter experts and management to help with developing future goals and strategies. They will participate in internal key sector and corporate initiatives to support the overall goals of UL.
- Establishes plans and strategies to expand the UL’s Apparel Industry and key customer relations
- Participate in industry and stakeholder meetings as required to promote UL’s technical expertise, understanding and positioning with the apparel market so as to enable UL Commercial teams to drive new business
- Collaborates effectively with internal and external technical stakeholders to develop / maintain scientifically and technically sound requirements / practices consistent with UL’s Mission and business interests. To do so requires international travel.
- Develops and/or advises on the development of technical training and “thought leadership” content for internal and external stakeholders.
- Routinely meets with global technical staff to provide updates and share knowledge of technical requirements, procedures, compliance records / tools, etc.
- Presents technical content to standardization, industry, professional and other organizations.
- Review and approval of technically complex proposals and quotations
- Is a Qualified Reviewer as required by scheme(s) for determining compliance with scheme requirements.
- Is the technical lead for determining the feasibility of conformity assessment of new and innovative products, developing / identifying appropriate testing, inspection and certification requirements in accordance with UL or other scheme conformity assessment policies and procedures.
- Advises on interpretation of test methods and then drives consistent application globally.
- Collaborates with the responsible laboratory and operations staff to determine any necessary equipment and skills needed resulting from the changes to regulations / requirements.
- Provides subject matter expertise and general technical support to UL laboratory operations, field operations, market surveillance and business development initiatives.
- Promotes the company’s expertise in the Apparel market through marketing channels, including writing technical articles for apparel and related publications.
- Contributes to the development of training and educational programs of stakeholders through webinars, presentations, seminars, tradeshows, articles and public speaking events
- Stays current with trends and contacts by reading trade papers and technical articles, attending trade shows, and other industry events.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- University Degree (Equivalent to Bachelor of Science degree) in Textiles, Apparel, Business or a related scientific discipline plus generally ten years of directly related experience.
- Working knowledge of the relevant government and industry standards, regulations and guidelines. Includes ability to apply these to complex, new and innovative products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative and innovative thinking to problem solve and streamline processes.
- Ability to remain, objective and professional in challenging situations
- Ability to work in fast paced work environment both independently and in a group / cross-functional setting and to interact with all levels of staff
- Ability to lead the team to improve consistency and quality
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate in a technical manner and exercise influence with industry and other stakeholder peers
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, up to 50% of the time
- Proficient in internet navigation, e-mail and PC software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint