Individuals in this position are responsible for collaborating with Architects, Business Architects, strategy consultants, and business partners in the development of capability roadmaps for a given domain. They will take lead in ensuring that initiatives are prioritized and executed in alignment with the long-term business strategy. Principal Business Analysts will typically cover a domain – like a BDH or Value Stream. They are accountable for the tactical delivery of the strategic components through development of business cases and collaboration and oversight of deliverables with agile teams. They will also contribute ideas and suggestions to the strategic roadmap for the company based on the needs and direction of their domain.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of an annual or bi-annual capability roadmap for that domain consisting of the highest priority business deliverables
- Responsible for the realization of capabilities as features on product backlogs
- Collaborates with the business leaders, IT Leadership, Chief Product Owner(s) and Product Owner(s) to ensure the capabilities deliver the expected return on investment and are prioritized accordingly
- Collaborates with architects to create digital business capabilities that are innovative and highly capable. May be involved in the definition of external partnership engagement/agreements.
- Co-ordinates or participates in tool, technology and service selection, risk assessments and sunsetting in conjunction with technical and business stakeholders ensuring consistency with existing business needs and architectural sustainability.
- Leads discussions with Business Analysts, Product Owners, Leaders of Agile Teams and the corresponding management and teams to ensure alignment of priorities. Helps team translate strategic themes and roadmaps to tangible deliverables which can become backlog items
- Promotes the development of a strong customer experience
- Provides coaching and mentoring for Senior Business Analysts and Business Analysts and ensures consistency of business analyst artifacts and quality of business analysis. Develops and presents business cases for high level initiatives for approval, funding and prioritization
- Takes responsibility for Business strategy for that domain through analysis and ensures that feature definitions will deliver the capabilities identified on the short to midterm roadmap
- Collaborates with Test Engineers to define and articulate capability acceptance criteria
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- Effective facilitation of cross team priorities and alignment of short term priorities
- Completes business architecture deliverables as part of broad capability team to ensure clarity of direction
- Optimizes the user experience across multiple business applications including cloud/third party solutions
- Bachelor’s degree required, relevant professional qualification or acceptable industry experience.
- 8+ years of demonstrated Business Analysis experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to translate business strategy into business capability roadmaps.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills
- Strong team player; able to lead and work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization
- Proven collaborative and negotiation skills with Technology and Business
- Able to deal with significant ambiguity and translate into more tangible outcomes
- Strong insurance or relevant industry experience
- Proven track record of success with business delivery (software solutions)
- Demonstrates a metrics and financial mindset to ensure ROI for business
- Certifications strongly encouraged