Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for planning, leading, and executing financial, operational and compliance/ governance audit projects (primarily SOX)
o Performs upfront project planning, including the definition of audit scope and audit work programs and coordination with management
o Leads interviews to understand the business process and documents the business process in a set of flowcharts or narratives
o Reviews the results of other team members and provides appropriate guidance during the course of project work
o Evaluates the effectiveness of the design of controls for business processes and executes testing of internal controls, identifying exceptions
o Provides insightful results through audit reporting process.
o Ensures that management is kept up to date with potential audit findings during the course of fieldwork.
• Interfaces regularly with External Audit.
• Builds good rapport and solid business relationships with management
• Over time, develops a command over key responsibilities in the business, reporting relationships, and from whom information may be obtained
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting and/or Finance
• CPA license
• 7+ years of professional work experience in the industry (including at least 5-6 years specific to financial audit)
• Experience leading SOX internal control audits
• Experience with government contracting accounting preferred
• Command over core business processes (i.e., Accounting, Financial Reporting, Procurement, Accounts Payable, Revenue Recognition, etc).
• Attention to detail and organizational skills are key
• In addition to the core knowledge and skills noted above, the Principal Auditor should have the following areas of knowledge:
o Ability to apply detailed knowledge of organizational process and procedures to evaluate risk, impact and vulnerability
o Basic understanding of ERP system controls
o Proficiency in auditing for potential fraud
o Basic understanding of data analytics procedures / techniques
o Ability to drive value-added recommendations
• Key preferences include certification (CIA, CFE) and public accounting experience
• Strong understanding of government contracting industry and cost accounting standards (CAS)
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision making capabilities
• Team player with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
• Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors
• Excellent problem solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions
Qualifications Requires Bachelors degree or equivalent, and seven to nine years of related experience or Master’s degree and five to seven experience. CPA with MBA preferred.
Degrees Equivalent Experience/Education
Years of Experience 13-15 years w/High School Diploma