The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a senior health economist to be the Senior Health Financing Lead on the HFG Project and on the design and implementation of the future IHSIP. The person will have overall responsibility for the quality of design and implementation strategies of health financing activities as well as monitoring, evaluation and learning arising from health financing work across the projects. S/he will be expected to work collaboratively as part of the project teams providing technical leadership to the network of health financing experts working in the projects and across consortium partners.
The Health Finance and Governance (HFG) Project is a US$ 199 million cooperative agreement with USAID led by Abt that has been working in over 40 countries since its start in 2012. It aims to increase the use of priority health care services, especially for women, girls, and poor and rural populations, through supporting partner countries’ efforts to increase domestic resources available for health care, manage those resources more effectively, and improve the efficiency of purchasing decisions. IHD will also be preparing for expansion of its work on health financing and country health systems development globally.
The successful candidate will bring and develop excellent relationships with USAID/Washington in the area of health financing, and with other USAID missions, major development partners, and with ministries of health and finance and other key stakeholders in countries according to demands from those countries. The Senior Health Financing Lead will work closely with the HFG partners teams in Africa, Asia and in Washington.
S/he will document the evidence base around successful approaches to improving health financing that improve access to essential health services also serving as a technical resource on best practices in health financing and systems strengthening. The Senior Health Financing Lead will also contribute evidence for how global and bilateral donors might optimally invest in improving health in LMICs going forward to improve health in low and middle income countries through strengthening health systems in pursuit of national and international sustainable development goals.
S/he will also provide leadership to the design and implementation of the future health financing work as part of IHD business development opportunities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Senior leadership role on core management team, assisting with successful HFG project completion, and external project representation in a variety of fora.
- Take forward HFG/Abt policy dialogue and build consensus with key national and international stakeholders on best practice in health financing and universal health coverage (UHC) related issues
- Strengthen strategic partnerships in the area of health financing between HFG/Abt and USAID Missions worldwide, donor organizations, and development partners, including with World Bank, DFID, WHO, Global Fund, and multilateral agencies
- Lead HFG health financing and related work in specified countries in close collaboration with HFG country, regional and global teams;
- Review and identify options and opportunities for public and private sector engagement in health financing aimed at reaching UHC and expanding access to health services among low-income populations in low- and middle-income countries
- Work with other HFG and Abt senior health economists to document and communicate results and lessons learned from project activities focused on health financing, including authoring/co-authoring technical papers, journal articles, blog posts, and other forms of communication.
- Serve as technical reviewer, quality assuror and mentor to individuals and teams implementing health financing and related interventions across HFG and Abt; continue to grow and develop Abt’s team of health economists
- Provide short-term expert technical assistance to other Abt international and national projects to strengthen health financing.
- Track opportunities for expanding health financing work, share intelligence on specific opportunities, and help build Abt business on health financing in accordance with Abt priorities and strategy.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- PhD or equivalent in health economics, international development, public health or other closely related field is required.
- At least 15years of senior-level international experience in designing, implementing and advising on large, complex programs in developing countries focused on health financing, public health and health systems strengthening
- Recognized ‘thought leader’ globally in the field of health economics and health financing
- Expertise in policy development, policy implementation and monitoring at either the national or sub-national level in a developing country context.
- Experience developing strategic vision, aligning key stakeholders around that vision, and assuring that the vision is translated into implementable strategies.
- Strong people and project manager, with proven experience successfully managing multiple partners and work streams
- Highly collaborative engagement style with demonstrated experience leading teams and building and managing relationships/partnerships
- Experience with business case and/or new business development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English required, with other regional language preferred.
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.