This position will be responsible for assisting the Compliance team with its monitoring of the organization's Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program. The compliance team is comprised of professionals with public, internal and IT certifications.
The organization’s ERM program is based on the 2013 Internal Control Framework, and primarily includes 1) performing internal control evaluations, 2) risk assessments, 3) facilitating corrective action; and 4) monitoring resolution of corrective actions.
The ideal candidate must have a mastery of risk management and/or audit (operational or financial) focusing on designing, implementing, and evaluating general and business process manual and automated internal controls.
The candidate should possess strong report writing, communication, project management, and business organization skills and be adept at working both independently and with cross-organizational teams. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Compliance and will be based in Pew's Washington, DC office.
- Perform a variety of internal control evaluations and audits over processes affecting operations, financialreporting, and compliance with laws and regulations and make recommendations on how to improve controls.
- Work with Legal Affairs staff to develop and implement internal control activities to prevent and/or detect instances of non-compliance with laws of applicable jurisdictions.
- Draft policies and procedures necessary to promote compliance with Pew’s code of ethics.
- Assist in the design and delivery of annual and as-needed trainings for Pew staff to ensure their familiarity and compliance with critical policies and procedures.
- Participate in activities and meetings and perform other tasks as assigned, including, for example, serving on institution-wide committees or performing special investigations.
- Assist the unit in developing work routines and standards to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Attend professional development seminars and continuing professional education training to increase knowledge and remain properly informed of risk management, compliance and internal control issues.
- Pew maintains a robust Enterprise Risk Management program that keeps pace with leading practices, the changes in business processes, perceived risks and applicable laws. Appropriate policies, procedures, and internal controls are in place to mitigate business risks.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required. Prior auditexperience, Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner preferred.
- A minimum of six years of professional experience in the field of risk assessment, evaluating internal controls, compliance and client audit, along with responsibility for project management, planning, research and analysis. Nonprofit auditexperience a bonus.
- Possesses mastery of finance, accounting and audit practices. Strong analytical skills. Experienced in evaluating various strategies to make solutions-oriented recommendations.
- Skilled in software applications including databases, spreadsheets, and presentation media. Proficient in creating and manipulating Excel spreadsheets.
- In depth knowledge of the COSO Framework and/or other frameworks, for example, Governance, Risk, and Control (GRC), related to internal control and risks management.
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Able to set priorities, organize time and identify resources for projects.
- Sound consultation and relationship management skills. Able to build and maintain strong relationships while coordinating potentially sensitive projects. Strong interpersonal skills. Able to quickly establish credibility and to develop and manage productive relationships with internal staff.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Able to conduct research, coordinate resources and synthesize in writing a broad array of information into an easy to understand, concise summary.
- Able to thrive in a dynamic team environment.
- Able to manage the flow of information to Legal Affairs regarding issues and concerns.
- Able to assess and analyze situations, make wise decisions, and determine how best to present issues.
- Mature. Assumes full responsibility for individual decisions and work, as well as for team projects.
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential issues in a fast paced environment.