Principal Analyst, Aromatics
8 - 10 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
For the past 40 years, Wood Mackenzie has established its reputation as a trusted source of intelligence, enriching lives by empowering clients with unique insight on the world’s natural resources.
Now, as part of the Verisk Analytics family, that legacy is even stronger. Aligning with the world’s leading data analytics company extends our ability to help clients overcome the toughest challenges with our unrivalled analysis and advice.
We will continue to build on the power of our existing approach to assess and value individual assets and companies, allowing our clients to pursue the most promising opportunities.
Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence that informs the strategic decisions that will ultimately shape the future direction of our global natural resources.
In 2015, Wood Mackenzie acquired the PCI group and now through PCI Wood Mackenzie brings together the foremost data and research in upstream and refining with leading analysis and data on downstream chemicals, polymers and fibres markets. Clients can now access an unrivalled perspective that spans the full hydrocarbon chain, from the well head through to end products.
PCI Wood Mackenzie (Chemicals, Polymers and Fibres) provides integrated subscription research and consultancy services for the chemicals, fibres, films, and plastics sectors. We provide insight combined with proprietary data, helping companies identify trends and take advantage of commercial opportunities.
Wood Mackenzie has developed an analytical base to forecast key commercial metrics for the commodity aromatics and derivatives markets. The Principal Analyst will participate in a global team of regional analysts to further develop and enhance this existing analytical base in order to become the best-in-class forecasting service for commodity aromatics and derivatives. This individual will also be the key analytical interface with existing and new customers of the service in the Americas.
The Principal Aromatics Analyst will be part of Wood Mackenzie’s global chemical research team which develops similar market services for other chemistries and other regions. The role offers the opportunity for an individual to lead an analytical team’s approach on forecasting techniques (supply/demand, pricing, production costs, margins), market reports, and regular market insights. This will be accomplished while maintaining regular chemical industry commercial contacts and working closely with other Wood Mackenzie research analysts to deliver a fully integrated analysis across the energy-to-chemicals value chain. The successful candidate will research and analyse chemical market dynamics and forecast both short and long term trends, occasionally supporting consultancy assignments.
- Be an integral part of a global chemical market and asset research team with specific responsibility to generate North American analysis of the aromatics chemical sector. Specifically, product coverage will include benzene, toluene, mixed xylenes, paraxylene, benzene, styrene and aromatics derivatives.
- Work closely with Wood Mackenzie’s macro-economic, energy, gas, oil and downstream analysts to develop an integrated energy-to-chemical view.
- Provide key inputs into a range of new chemical research products, including short-term and long-term product market services, asset evaluations, and corporate evaluations.
- Support development and enhancement of new forecasting models for chemical product demand, supply, capacity, trade, costs, margins, and prices.
- Integrate and optimize analytics with Wood Mackenzie's existing proprietary tools and databases.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to build, expand and improve the quality of our proprietary data.
- Deliver analysis and text material for monthly and annual chemical research reports.
- Respond to internal and external customer enquiries regarding analytics provided in research materials.
- Provide analytical input to consulting mandates in conjunction with our consulting team.
- Present to clients, non-clients and at industry events
- Publish 2-3 insights (topical publications) per year
- Work closely with the sales team to service clients and grow the client base
Knowledge & Experience Required
- Relevant and substantive experience in the energy, chemical and/or refining sector (manufacturing, research, service or other related company) in a technical, commercial or analytical role.
- 8 - 10 years work experience in the relevant field
- Bachelor's degree in economics, statistics, engineering, chemistry, mathematics or other relevant discipline.
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Access, Word skills, with aptitude and desire to learn and apply latest analytical techniques using these software platforms.
- Mastery of English communication skills, both written and oral; ability to effectively communicate key concepts and trends (both internal and external).
- Excellent problem solving skills and an ability to work within tight deadlines.
- A good knowledge of commodity product behaviours, and a strong capability to identify key drivers (such as macroeconomic indicators, industrial/consumer activities, domestic prices, etc.) so that their effects on production, demand and trade flows are quantified in a model per each product and sector.
- Previous analytical and/or commercial specialization in aromatics (benzene, toluene, xylenes and related chemistries) would be an advantage.
- Additional language skills would be an advantage.
- Analytical skills
- Issue identification, problem solving and analysis
- Assertive and Influential
- Efficiency focused
- Determined and resilient
- Continuous improvement
- Client Focused