Edison International (NYSE: EIX), through its subsidiaries, generates and distributes electric power, and invests in energy services and technologies, including renewable energy. Edison’s business platforms include Southern California Edison (SCE), one of the largest, most modern and cleanest electric utilities in the country, and Edison Energy Group (EEG), an integrated portfolio of emerging companies with a national footprint, offering products & services in a rapidly changing energy and cleantech marketplace. Both in California and the US, Edison International is widely recognized as an industry leader with a visionary drive toward a clean energy future, staying at the forefront of deploying new technologies, exploring innovative business models and advancing transformative policies.
The person in this position will play a key role in managing all aspects of the insurance program at Edison International and will play a key role in coordinating with and supporting the Edison Enterprise Risk Management and claims programs (ERM). This includes evaluating risks to the company, placing all lines of property and casualty insurance for the company, and analyzing/recommending changes to the program. You will be part of a small group that is part of the overall Edison risk management function, reporting to the Director of Insurance, and you will have regular interaction with executive officers of the company.
- Managing annual insurance renewals – This requires understanding the risks facing the company, evaluating insurance market conditions, formulating a strategy for each renewal, meeting with company executives to present the strategy, preparing underwriting presentations and meeting with carriers, resolving issues raised by carriers, and recommending insurance placements that meet the company’s needs
- Ongoing oversight of insurance programs – This includes working with the Claims Department and Law to make sure that claims are filed with carriers appropriately and that the company’s claims strategy and insurance renewal strategy are coordinated effectively, notifying carriers of changes in the company as required, working with carriers to amend coverage mid-year as required, and making sure premiums are accounted for and budgeted for appropriately
- Consulting with business areas on insurance matters – This involves meeting with leaders of various business areas in the company to review their business needs and develop a strategic plan for how insurance can be used to address their business issues, evaluating the risks involved in work done by contractors and formulating appropriate insurance requirements for contractors, and providing insurance training to personnel in the company’s business areas as needed
- Evaluating new insurance programs – This includes proactively analyzing emerging trends in our industry and in the insurance market to assess whether additional types of insurance that the company does not currently purchase would be appropriate for the company, assessing alternative ways to obtain coverage that the company already purchases, and presenting the case to the appropriate company executives for making the recommended changes
- Supporting loss control and risk assessment functions in the company’s business areas and ERM program
- Interacting with ERM and other risk management functions to help assure that risk trends are identified and acted upon, as appropriate
- B.A./B.S. in finance, insurance, risk management, loss control engineering, or other relevant discipline.
- Ten years of work experience in riskfinance and insurance
Desired Requirements and Experience:
- Five years of experience as a property/casualty broker or underwriter.
- Relevant master’s degree in finance, insurance, risk management, or loss control engineering, or MBA or JD
- Fifteen years of work experience in riskfinance and insurance, including at least 10 years as a property/casualty broker or underwriter
- Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) designation
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- This position is eligible for relocation.