Principal Acoustic Engineer
We are seeking a highly-motivated scientist or engineer with significant experience in the field of acoustics to add to our team.
This candidate will have a significant amount of acoustics experience including modelling, design of transducers, fabrication of transducers, non-linear propagation, theoretical and practical acoustics, and design of experiments to verify performance and simulation.
We pride ourselves on being a fast-paced, technically capable, and high-performing team that is developing ground-breaking technology. The acoustics lead will help drive the direction of the acoustics group, help educate the group in terms of general acoustics knowledge, and play a key-role in developing transducer technology.
- The acoustics lead will direct acoustic experiments, design acoustic transducers, and be the overall lead of acoustic research that occurs within the firm.
- Develop other Acoustics group members in various areas of acoustics physics, potentially including (but not limited to) non-linear propagation, phased-array systems, energy harvesting, transduction, test/measurement, impedance matching, instrumentation and beam-forming.
- Design acoustic experiments to measure efficiency, output pressure, and transducer performance.
- Set up acoustic measurements, prove experiment design, and analyze results.
- Create new transducer designs in a variety of actuation technologies.
- Understand the trade-offs of using one technology vs another.
- Coordinate feedback between experiment and simulation.
- Coordinate with the Acoustics Manager to determine the long-term goals of the Acoustics group.
- Research state-of-the-art acoustic technologies and determine how they might influence our technology.
- Ensure safety of the acoustic labs and the acoustics group.
- Conceive novel ideas to maximize energy harvesting.
- Post-graduate education in Engineering, Physics or an Acoustics-related field.
- At least 10 years of industry experience in design of acoustic devices.
- Experience in MEMS actuation, energy harvesting, or acoustic transducer design.
- Must be well-versed in acoustic measurements.
- Proficient in MATLAB.
- Expertise in at least one of the following actuation technologies: piezoelectric, electrostatic, electromagnetic.
- Experience developing 1D circuit models of various transducer designs.
- Experience designing impedance matching layers in air or water.
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Physics or Acoustics-related field.
- Acoustics expertise in one of the following areas: medical acoustics, acoustic imaging, acoustic modelling, beam-forming, phased-arrays, non-destructive testing, electro-acoustics.
- Modelling of acoustic propagation or non-linear acoustics experience.
- Experience with various higher-level programming languages.
- Experience with ANSYS or other FEA modelling programs.
- Experience in parameterization and optimization of designs.
- Experience in a wide range of actuation technologies such as CMUTs, PMUTs, etc.
- Experience developing acoustic products.
- Experience developing consumer products.
- Experience with energy harvesting.