Penn Medicine's Communications Department is looking for a Press Officer!
Working as part of a team of media relations professionals and other Communications staff and with limited supervision, the Press Officer writes and distributes internal and external communications materials and generates media placements in regional and national media outlets on advances in clinical care and biomedical research and health care innovation efforts underway at Penn Medicine.
Key areas of responsibility include:
•Maintains consistent contact with appropriate members of the Penn Medicine community (including senior leadership and members of the faculty) to track and execute media-worthy activities in assigned beat areas.
•Forges and maintains relationships with influential members of the media to monitor and respond to their interests and needs and leverage Penn Medicine news opportunities.
•Writes press releases, blog posts, and news articles for internal publications to promote high-profile institutional news and happenings.
•Secures placement of news stories about Penn Medicine faculty and research in the regional and national print, broadcast, and online media, on both a proactive and reactive basis.
•Conceptualizes and collaborates on online and social media dissemination of information – including video and photo assets – to the press and various health care constituencies and the public.
•Works closely with colleagues in Marketing and Development to cross-promote institutional priorities.
• Covers, writes about, and disseminates clinical, programmatic, education, and/or appointment news. Builds relationships and trust with members of the faculty and staff and encourages collaboration. Maintains confidential information at all times.
• Contributes ideas and written and multimedia content for the department's internal communications and publications. Works with other members of the Communications team and with the Director to publicize special news and institutional developments.
• Develops and participates in promoting special events that advance the reputation and achievements of Penn Medicine to the media, as well as to the thought-leader community.
• Handles media inquiries in a timely fashion and participates in a regular rotation of Press Officer "call" coverage.
• Represents a professional and positive image of Penn Medicine to internal and external stakeholders.
• Represents Penn Medicine at national and local professional scientific meetings and groups.
• Demonstrates good judgment in assessing stories for potential newsworthiness.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Minimum Degree Requirements and Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or Communications or biological/health sciences required
• At least five (5) years of experience required. Experience must be in public relations/communications/journalism or a combination of communications plus science/medicine experience at a professional level; or a Master’s degree with at least two (2) years of experience in public relations/communications/journalism.
• Health care experience preferred.
• Experience placing or writing stories in the regional/national media.
• Experience using social media and multimedia storytelling platforms.
• Experience working with advocacy and professional associations preferred.
• Experience working in a complex, highly matrixed environment preferred.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the principles and practice of biomedical research and clinical care preferred.
• Experience in translating technical information into language accessible by media and the lay public.
• Must be flexible and work well under pressure.
• Works well with others and is a self-starter.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Job ID: 72786