Project Renewal, one of the top homeless services organizations in New York City, is seeking to hire a new President & CEO to lead this innovative, client-centered, comprehensive service delivery organization. With a budget of close to $90 million and a staff of 950, Project Renewal pioneers programs that provide health, homes, and jobs which empower adults and children to renew their lives. Project Renewal delivers the most comprehensive array of services to the homeless population of any organization in New York City.
Serving over 15,500 people a year, Project Renewal provides the following services:
Health * Physical, Mental, and Behavioral
Serving 13,130 clients per year
* Primary care clinics
* Dental clinic
* Addiction treatment centers
Housing over 2,000 people per day
* Seven Shelters
* Nine Permanent Housing programs
* Six Transitional Housing programs
o Including three Licensed Mental Health programs
* One $58M permanent housing project currently under construction and one $60M project in the pipeline
Serving 800 students and making 390 placements per year
* Next Step Employment Program
* Culinary Arts Training Program
* City Beet Kitchens (Social purpose venture catering company)
The President and CEO reports directly to the Board of Directors. The CEO, in concert with the Board, is responsible for "charting the course" of Project Renewal through development of a strategic plan that brings innovative leadership, financial resources, and creative programs to meet the challenging needs of Project Renewal's clients. The CEO is expected to provide the vision, leadership, and broad executive management necessary to fulfill its mission and achieve the long-term strategic objectives of the organization. The CEO is responsible for the direction and management of all departments of Project Renewal and for ensuring its fiscal integrity.
With an accomplished and dedicated staff in place, it is expected that the CEO will play an externally-focused role in further developing Project Renewal's reputation and interaction with government agencies, elected and appointed leaders, corporate partners, community leaders, and donors.
The successful candidate will be a highly intelligent, charismatic leader who is fully committed to Project Renewal's core mission. They must be passionate about serving the organization's clients as well as energetic, creative, a problem solver, and able to respond to and resolve crises quickly, amicably and effectively. The CEO must communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders and possess excellent verbal and written skills.
Provide visionary and strategic leadership to the Board, staff, and the community, including the assessment of the current landscape and development of a strategic plan that ensures that Project Renewal continues to be a leading voice in homelessness.
Provide supervision, mentoring, professional development and growth to Project Renewal's professionals. Set, foster, and model a positive and collaborative environment within the organization. Recruit, lead, and evaluate a high-performance professional team that can effectively carry out the primary programs and mission of Project Renewal.
* As the face of the organization, seek and cultivate relationships on behalf of Project Renewal with individuals who might serve as Board members, become donors, or otherwise promote the advancement of Project Renewal and the people it serves. In partnership with the Board chair, help build a diverse and inclusive Board that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
Work with the Board and staff to build and diversify funding including major gifts, corporate and foundation funding, and online campaigns.
* Alongside the senior team, develop creative programs in health, homes and employment to meet the needs of Project Renewals' clients.
Ensure appropriate management and processes are in place to achieve compliance and strong fiscal oversight of all Project Renewal programs.
Anticipate and respond to changes on the horizon in healthcare financing, affordable housing funding, and shelter policies.
Address and engage communities where Project Renewal's programs and sites are active or developing.
* Strong leadership skills, including the ability to set and articulate an organizational vision; see and manage from a big picture perspective; be decisive and inclusive in the decision-making process; be proactive and employ critical thinking skills.
* Keen understanding of running a mission-based organization. Demonstrated success in developing, empowering, and leading staff, resulting in high performing teams, specifically in a service delivery environment.
* Demonstrated success in all areas of fundraising, including experience with the cultivation and solicitation of major donors. Possesses the willingness and desire to be personally involved with these efforts.
* Proven experience in working with a team to create an effective and innovative marketing and communications plan that integrates the use of social media and technology into the organizational positioning.
* Ability to respond to and resolve crises quickly and effectively.
* Excellent interpersonal, political, and diplomatic skills.
* Skill in presenting oneself and communicating in a manner that will challenge and inspire volunteers and professionals.
* A problem solver who can build consensus and engender cooperation between the Board and professionals.
* Creative and innovative manager; comfortable leading in "fluid" environments, taking risks, and experimenting.
* Ability to maintain and model high personal, ethical, and professional standards.