WHO WE ARE
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and “large company” benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, “small company” atmosphere.
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies has an opening for an experienced Premium Auditor to join our California Premium Audit Field Team. Our California Premium Audit Field Team is responsible for conducting high quality premium audits on medium and large workers’ compensation policies, working with stakeholders to ensure a high quality premium audit experience, maintaining communication with company underwriters and agents, and acting as a liaison between insureds and company departments.
This position willrequire frequenttravel to insureds physicallocations and other company offices around the state of California or assigned geographical territory as necessary to complete the essential responsibilities outlined below.
- Develop accurate and complete audits on large workers’ compensation policies by examining policyholder’s payroll records and operations. Record and summarize proper payroll and classifications to be used for determination of premium.
- Perform analysis of insured’s business operations to determine appropriate classifications and exposures. Interpret and apply legislative and manual ruling which affect premium basis and policy coverage.
- Responsible for representing BHHC with customers including insurers, employers, agents, and brokers. This includes addressing customer questions, and concerns, taking appropriate action to resolve and correct problems, and responding to customer feedback to ensure the best customer experience.
- Maintain a high level of communication with other company departments regarding any conditions or changes in operations or finances discovered during the audit which could adversely impact the company.
- Work with California Premium Audit Field Team and Supervisor to drive ongoing improvements in premium audit process to enhance customer service experience.
- Maintain working knowledge of insurance manuals, guides, handbooks and other materials pertinent to job performance. Reviews all communications, bulletins and manual changes in order to maintain a current level of expertise needed to assure a professional audit.
- Arrange work in a logical, geographical pattern to reduce travel time and maximize time available for audits. Make appointments according to work schedule and company requirements. Prepare and submit audits according to company procedures on a timely basis. Submit activity reports, expense accounts, and any other reports as prescribed.
- Must be willing to work outside of assigned territory and accept assignments requiring overnight travel and undertake special projects and assignments as required by Premium Audit Supervisor.
- EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Five or more years of premium audit experience. Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university or relevant experience.
- LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- MATH ABILITY: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient on the Microsoft Professional Suite of software; Internet software, Vendor software and Billing systems.
- CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: none required.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Health and wellness – low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage, FSA and EAP benefits
- Company paid Life, Disability and ADD benefits
- Employee Retirement Savings Plan with employer match up to 5 percent of compensation
- Generous Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Recognition and Rewards Programs
- Company Store
- Discounts across Berkshire Hathaway Inc. companies such as GEICO, See’s Candies, etc.