Who we are:
Integrity and fairness. Hard work and performance. A love for what we do. These are the values that drive us. They push us to be better every day. To provide the highest-quality service and greatest value to every project we’re a part of. We’re looking for people who share in that dedication. An innovative spirit, results-oriented thinking, and a dedication to our values have helped us grow into one of the largest professional construction services firms in the United States.
As a member of the Boldt team, you’ll collaborate with some of the most knowledgeable professionals in our industry. You’ll have the chance to learn new skills and seek greater responsibilities, while earning competitive pay and benefits. And you’ll join a team that builds real value in the world around you.
We are currently seeking outstanding talent to join our team! As our organization grows, we will need more phenomenal people to share in our successes. The Boldt Company is expecting even more growth in the coming weeks or months, and we want to build our pipeline of outstanding candidates as new opportunities arise. If you're interested in working for a successful organization with big plans for the future, we invite you to apply today!
How your role fits into Boldt:
In this role, you will report to the Vice President of Project Development and Execution in Sacramento, and work closely with the operating group, project management, estimating and support staff. You will provide preconstruction and estimating leadership based on Lean principles that support a collaborative and integrated project delivery. Responsibilities include preparing, planning, prioritizing and evaluating estimates, along with being engaged in the Target Value Design process. This position will be responsible for coordinating and oversight of internal and external estimating resources.
What you get to do:
- Develop a project from the first estimate to subcontract formalization. Prepare bid documents for clients. Support all estimating and functions for projects including establishing reporting formats, assignment of areas of estimating responsibility, compiling estimates, preparation and oversight.
- Present or participate in project estimates and budgets to project Owners and other partners.
- Prepare and send out bid documents and instructions to Bidders to optimally procure and buyout projects and smooth transition. Turn-over to project leaders and ensure subcontractors are prequalified prior to bidding and contracting with Boldt.
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to resolve scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Owns the bidding process including bid solicitation, bidders’ communications, proposals evaluations, bid tally sheet preparation and bid analysis.
- Owns the review of all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to formal quotation.
- Perform comparisons of scope, quantities and cost data between projects.
- Prepare studies for proposed materials and method solutions, generate recommendations and cost estimates as required.
- Design to budget approach in preconstruction. Work with design and project management teams to find alternative solutions to budget challenges, analyze maintenance costs and life cycle costs to achieve a valuable solution to the client.
- Assist project managers and financial manager in the continuous assessment of project risks how it relates to the overall project cost. Consolidate all risk and opportunities and integrate into the costs. This includes assisting project and financial managers in reviewing monthly trade partner cost reports and labor reports and identify variances from the original estimate.
- Assist in the development and implementation of estimating and cost modeling with designers, architects and engineers using a model-based process for projects that are designed from a model.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships and the highest ethical standards with clients, and other customers. Communicate with customers openly and honestly, while maintaining company’s confidential and proprietary information. Seeks input and feedback from both external and internal customers.
- Coach and mentor direct reports and preconstruction staff.
- Perform additional assignments per the Director of Preconstruction & Estimating’s direction.
What we expect from you:
- Four-year degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience. Higher education is preferred but not required.
- Eight to ten years of construction experience with minimum five to eight years estimating; thorough knowledge of estimating processes, material and building system costs, labor productivity evaluation techniques, and conceptual project construction requirements. Prior experience in construction sectors such as healthcare, life sciences, tenant improvements.
- Excellent listening skills. A strong work ethic and “can-do” attitude.
- Experience in Guarantee Maximum Price (GMP) as well as Lump Sum (Hard) Bid type of projects.
- Understanding and proficiency of construction coding in CSI, Master Format and Uniformat.
- A strong understanding of excel spreadsheets, database-based software (Timberline, WinEst), take-off software (On-Screen take-off) scheduling software (Microsoft Schedule, Primavera) is desired.
Physical requirements and working conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to position objects and operate tools or controls. Employee occasionally uses computer keyboard. The employee is frequently required to position self to maneuver in confined or awkward spaces. The employee regularly is required to remain in a stationary position and move to access people or machinery or workspaces. Employee is occasionally required to ascend and/or descend a ladder or stairs to reach work areas. The employee must regularly move up to 10 pounds and occasionally move up to 25 pounds. The employee is regularly required to travel (as vehicle driver and as passenger on various modes of transportation) and frequently performs work on-site at construction work sites. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee views computer monitor occasionally. The employee is required to be able to optimally communicate while on the job site and throughout the completion of duties.
The working conditions of this position requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to maintain safety and prevent exposure to harmful materials. The environment for which this position functions may be exposed to prolonged loud noises and may contain scents and fragrances. May be requested to work overtime and weekends.
What we can offer you:
We are a multi- generational family owned, privately held organization. Along with encouraging a safe and robust team-based environment, we offer:
- A competitive wage with a comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental and vision benefits without a waiting period
- An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) to share in the company’s success along with an annual bonus based on overall company performance
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays
- Wellness resources, including a health coach, health assessments, maternity management, and life care
- Relocation assistance
- Have equal access to opportunities and resources at all levels of the company. Professional growth and development opportunities including educational reimbursement
- Diversity and inclusion training programs
- Community engagement