Under the direction of the Medical Director and Director of Practice Operations, and in accordance with established policies and procedures, the Practice Manager is responsible for the oversight of practice operations. Responsibilities include recommending practice objectives to ensure financial profitability through strategic planning in order to meet the long term goals of the local practice and the corporation.
- Assists in establishing and implementing goals, objectives, policies, procedures and systems for the assigned administrative areas.
- Participates in the development and implementation of long range plans and budgets.
- Oversees the recruiting, hiring and interviewing of staff.
- Oversees the coding, charge capture, and charge entry process to assure that billing is current and accurate.
- Evaluates local business conditions as they relate to practice operations and advises Medical Director of such.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures specific to the operation of the local practice. Ensures compliance within the practice of the policies and procedures.
- Delegates responsibilities to staff and department supervisors as necessary.
- Maintains a working relationship with external contacts such as managed care representatives and hospital administrators.
- Ensures that all practice activities are in compliance with corporate, practice, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Oversees the management of staffing needs for the practice by ensuring the availability of properly trained personnel.
- Ensures practice compliance with legal requirements related to OSHA, EEO, TEFRA, ERISA, and Wage and Hour.
- Directs the preparation of information required by the Compliance Department and ensures that all staff is properly educated as directed by the Compliance Department.
- Responsible for monitoring, analyzing, assessing and communicating practice progress.
- Oversees the preparation of management reports as requested by the Medical Director or corporate personnel.
- Conducts appropriate performance evaluations and recommends merit increases, promotions, and disciplinary actions.
- Attends practice administrative meetings with physicians and Medical Director as required by the Medical Director.
- Oversees the development and coordination of new office locations and their needs as required.
- Ensures the coordination of payroll functions and personnel records. Assists with benefits, personnel issues, and special projects as assigned.
- Oversees the management of petty cash.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees as requested.
- Maintains a working relationship with the Managed Care Specialists to assist as needed in local contract negotiations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Nursing, Healthcare Management or other related
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in healthcare management.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Knowledge of the local community health care environment sufficient to interact with other health care providers and administrators.
- Understanding of medical office operations sufficient to oversee its operations and provide support to the Medical Director and physicians.
- Skill in exercising a high degree of judgment, discretion and decision making necessary to achieve organizational objectives.
- Must possess analytical skill sufficient to organize and prepare comprehensive reports.
- Ability to organize and integrate organizational objectives in order to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written forms.