Make an impact at Goodwin, where we partner with our clients to practice law with integrity, ingenuity, agility and ambition. Our 1,200-plus lawyers across the United States, Europe and Asia excel at complex transactions, high-stakes litigation and world-class advisory services in the technology, life sciences, real estate, private equity and financial industries. Our unique combination of deep experience serving both the innovators and investors in a rapidly-changing, technology-driven economy sets us apart. Also a global destination for business professionals, Goodwin’s team of professional staff was named in 2019 the “Best Business Team” by The American Lawyer.
Our life sciences practice is deeply experienced in corporate governance, financing and M&A transactions, collaborations and licensing, regulatory matters, and intellectual property law. We understand the challenges of securing funding, safeguarding intellectual property, establishing partnerships, bringing new products to market, opening up new revenue streams, and protecting existing product lines.
The Practice Manager will report to the Director, Business Unit - Life Sciences (L/S) and will work closely with partners and administrative team members to accomplish timely and effective execution of priorities, operations and systems that drive strategic direction of the Business Unit. The successful candidate will have the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously to drive operational excellence and service.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Overall Business Unit Operations: Work with the Director, Business Unit - L/S, L/S Business Unit Leader, and practice management team to manage operational and strategic aspects of the practice, including internal organization, meetings and events, information management, and other initiatives as requested by the Director. Identify Business Unit needs and opportunities, and work to advance relevant initiatives.
- Talent Management: Based upon a solid understanding of the talent management goals of the Business Unit, Legal Practice Areas, Offices, and each individual attorney, work with the L/S personnel committee and interact with partners and administrators on various talent management initiatives, including BU efforts related to recruitment, diversity and inclusion, and professional development and training. Understand the broader firm tools, process, and strategy to ensure proper execution on the BU’s initiatives.
- Business Intelligence: Produce reporting and analytics to build business intelligence that informs Business Unit leadership on trends related to overall business unit management, including talent management, financial performance, and knowledge management. Collaborate with Director, Business Unit - L/S, partners, and administrators to identify actionable issues and plans arising out of metrics analysis and execute on related efforts to support and advance BU initiatives.
- Team Management: Together with the Director, manage workload and professional development of the BU Specialist who is part of the Practice Management team through coaching, mentoring, delegation, and supervision.
WHO YOU ARE:
- J.D. required.
- Preferably 3-5 plus years of experience practicing as a lawyer in top-tier law firm and/or 3 years’ experience as an administrator with practice management, client relationship management, business development or attorney development role in a law firm.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proven abilities to manage projects and tasks including demonstrating delegation and organizational skills.
- Effective creative problem solving and people management skills.
- Working knowledge of Word, Outlook and Excel.