Enterprise Services, Working better together.
Our teams are dedicated to providing the services and technology our business partners need to help customers achieve lifetime financialsecurity. Through innovation and collaboration, we're striving to continually find new and better ways to bring value to Sun Life. Enterprise Services has employees in Canada, Ireland, the U.S. and Asia. We partner closely with groups and individuals throughout Sun Life Financial to provide products and services that deliver business value.
As a part of Sun Life’s Enterprise Services shared services organization, Group Benefits and Group Retirement Application Services is responsible for providing IT services to both Sun Life’s Group Benefits and Group Retirement Services business units.
As a leader on the Group Benefits and Group Retirement Services Design & Development team, you will manage a team of 10-20 highly skilled and collaborative individuals IT professionals across multiple geographies and help drive forward Development practices. This position will report to the Director, Group Benefits and Group Retirement Application Services.
The incumbent will be a Manager for an Application Design and Development Team with a well-established track record of organizing and leading application design and development resources across multiple inter-related projects. He/She must have experience leading resources who work on large and complex initiatives that also span lines of business and/or geographies.
The Manager is an accomplished relationship manager and is comfortable partnering and negotiating with numerous internal and external stakeholders across business and IT organizations including program sponsors, steering groups, delivery managers, vendors, and account managers. The Manager is also comfortable and confident working with members of the Senior Leadership team.
We have 2 open roles - one each for Atria (Victoria Park and Sheppard) and Waterloo location.
- Familiarity with application development life cycles
- Strong technical and business acumen
- Multi platform development experience, including mainframe and distributed environments
- Demonstrated leadership in managing geographically diverse teams
- Experienced in Talent Management – recruitment and selection, performance management, performance development and coaching, reward and recognition
- Minimum of 10 years experience in IT
- Greater than 5 years of experience providing direct and/or indirect leadership
- Software design knowledge and practice with application, data, security and infrastructureexperience is desirable
- Experience Integrating complex and unique program/projects with numerous technologies and platforms
- Experience in Dev Ops and Agile is highly desirable
- A thought leader, inquisitive and comfortable in challenging the status quo
- Ability to work in a matrixed or shared services organizational model
- Political savvy, seasoned, a natural diplomat who can navigate the organization globally
- Results oriented, drives others to meet their objectives.
- Ability to lead through influence in a complex and evolving environment to meet challenging timelines and organizational goals
- Interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels
Responsible for the management of application designers and developers within Group Benefits and Group Retirement Application Services.
- Key contributor in defining application development best practices for Sun Life Financial.
- Ensures compliance to systems development life cycle standards and application development best practices.
- Coach and mentors staff to develop a high performing, highly motivated and engaged team of professionals
- Effectively hire and retain talent while leading and growing the GBGRS Design Development team
- Promote a learning environment to develop team member skills that align with industry developments and organization goals
- Set performance plans and objectives that recognize talent and provides honest, direct feedback in a timely manner
- Builds team agility by assessing and anticipating knowledge/skill gaps and driving knowledge transfer and/or skill development
- Strategic resource planning – ensuring that a long term resourcing plan exists to meet the future needs of the organization, which includes in-house staff, off shore resources and third party capabilities.
- Works with delivery partners within Enterprise Services IT, external vendors and partners to ensure delivery and support of all projects on time, on budget, and meeting business and IT expectations.
- Contributes to the development of the Group Benefits and Group Retirement Application Services strategy.
- Ensures financial management, tracking and measurement of all key IT activities.
- Active participant in various forums across Enterprise Services at Sun Life worldwide.