Reporting to the Director of Engineering Effectiveness. The Practice Lead – Development will be an expert within their practice domain. The Practice Lead will run a Centers of Enablement (CoE). They will build an assessment and be equipped to guide that assessment throughout the engineering teams. Further they will use the assessment to create adoption of modern practices on the digital transformation journey and to identify opportunities for training and upskilling of staff.
You will partner with the leader of the Community of Practice (CoP) assuring the CoE and CoP work together. The Practice Lead will also partner with the Director of Engineering Effectiveness and other engineering leads to make sure that new job postings, interview materials, and career progression paths correctly reflect the required skills for a modern technology organization.
- Relevant industry experience is important (Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer, or similar role), but less than your demonstrated abilities and attitude.
- Center of Enablement: The Practice Lead will be the lead for the Center of Enablement (CoE). The Practice Lead will build an assessment for teams within the engineering group. The assessment results will be used to work towards specific performance goals for teams and will uncover opportunities for upskilling individuals. The CoE purpose is to ensure productivity enhancements are delivered and monitored.
- The Practice Lead will be an expert in the domain and can promote the assessment with the primary focus on finding areas for improvement. They will be advocates for modern practices and help provide metrics related to the effectiveness of engineering teams. The Practice Lead will work with the Director of Engineering Effectiveness to uncover process improvements and educational opportunities.
- In addition to the CoE, the Practice Lead will be supportive of a Community of Practice helping either to form a new practice or encourage an existing community. The Community of Practice will function as a more informal means of learning. The Practice Lead will build agendas, coordinate speakers to present to the group and handle some of the more administrative tasks of ensuring needed meetings scheduled, meeting rooms scheduled, and ensuring remote technical collaboration tools are in place to address a part of a hybrid onsite and remote work arrangements.
- The Practice Lead will be the "go-to" person to build the concept and construct of the Center of Enablement. There will be multiple CoEs and CoPs built based on practice areas within engineering and you will work with other leads to create a cohesive sense of how community is built and yet allow for each community to create its own sense of individuality.
- Promote vision for focus area to diverse audiences (Product, Engineering Leadership, Practitioners)
- Continuous Improvement: Use feedback from teams, managers, and partners, the Practice Lead, along with other practice leaders, will create training materials or programs to reduce anti-patterns of good engineering practices.
- Role-based Coaching: the Practice Lead will provide direct coaching for team members or leaders.
Engineering Organization responsibilities:
- Practice Leadership: Work with other Practice Leaders who will focus on organizational continuous improvement based on their practice. (i.e., A Quality Engineering Practice Leader would focus on improving the skills and practices of all engineers. A DevOps Practice Lead will focus on deployment methods.)
- Centers of Enablement: The Practice Lead will create the Center of Enablement in collaboration with the Director of Engineering Effectiveness
- Train Programs: In collaboration with the Director of Engineering Effectiveness, develop training programs for upskilling members of the engineering organization. Coordinate bringing in external resources for training. These programs should use SMART goals and include a variety of methods to maximize potential impact.
- Oversee immersion practices to re-skill and mentor talent (e.g. Dojos)
- Ensure that results are provided to the right levels across the organization.
- 10 or more years of experience
- Requires a bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, or a related study or equivalent project-related experience.
- Experience applying/coaching CICD principles.
- Exposure to multiple diverse technologies, engineering practices, and methods of code delivery.
- Experience creating upskilling programs for engineering practices.
- Experience coaching technical people.
- Experience leading and developing motivated teams.
- Facilitation and negotiation in a team.
- Comprehensive knowledge of best engineering practices.
- Knowledge of the IT industry and information technologies at a high and detailed level.
- Experience with geographically distributed teams in a matrixed environment.
- Cloud-relevant (AWS, GCP) CLI Scripting
- Experience coding in higher-level languages (e.g. Python, Java, Kotlin)
- Understand / proficiency in application containerization, APIs, or web services
- Knowledge of common DevOps tools such as Git and Terraform.
- Hands-on experience with CI/CD principles and techniques
- Use pipelines to build and deploy code and services
- Wide range of knowledge across IT disciplines including software, quality, security, and hardware
- Experience working on complex projects, and large enterprise teams
- Experience using orchestration tools/deploying infrastructure as code (eg Terraform, Cloud Formation)