Our future partners and customers are responding enthusiastically. As we prepare to fly our vehicles with customers, we are looking for people like you: motivated teammates excited by this mission and by the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous aerial logistics system. You will play a critical role in bringing the Elroy Air system to the world.
As a powertrain engineer at Elroy Air, you will be a direct contributor to the high power and electrical system design, implementation, and architectural road-mapping for Elroy Air’s full-scale autonomous cargo aircraft. In this role you will work closely with team members in flight physics and performance, structures, avionics, and flight test to seamlessly integrate your electrical and power-delivery systems. Beyond the design and analysis of flight-critical electrical systems, your duties will extend to architectural decision-making, hands-on system testing, and mentorship.
What You'll Work On
- The design, analysis, testing, and integration of high power electrical and hybrid power systems on board Elroy's full scale, vertical takeoff and landing cargo aircraft. This includes a gas engine, generator, high voltage battery packs, power distribution, and electric propulsion motors.
- Developing and integrating reliable power supply solutions for avionics, cargo handling components, and sensors into Elroy Air vehicles .
- The creation and execution of the powertrain technical roadmap across vehicle development phases, including the specification and selection of powertrain components (engine, generator, batteries, motors, etc.) aligned with program and company goals.
- Powertrain and electrical system requirements specification and tracking with the ultimate goal of aircraft certification.
- Collaborating with flight physics and performance engineers to ensure alignment between aircraft mission requirements and power delivery systems.
- Identification, development, and execution of test plans and procedures for verification of powertrain system robustness and requirements satisfaction.
- Contributing to high-level planning and architecture discussions in collaboration with other team members.
- Actively utilizing project management tools (e.g., Jira), identifying and mitigating schedule risks, blocking issues, and dependencies.
- Documentation of decision processes and implemented system architecture.
Our Ideal Candidate Has
- 6+ years of professional experience in electrical engineering on full-scale vehicle power systems.
- Deep experience with hybrid powertrain architectures and associated high voltage subsystems.
- Strong hands-on experience with PCBs, wire harnesses, connectors, and schematics for electrical systems.
- Strong hands-on experience debugging, troubleshooting, and root-cause analyzing electrical systems for noise mitigation and EMI.
- Strong experience designing electrical systems in weight/volume-constrained applications and use of best-practices for efficient electrical system integration.
- Effective teamwork and communication skills.
- Experience developing requirements for high-power systems and designing to those requirements.
- BS or MS in electrical engineering or equivalent experience.