AWS Truepower, a UL company, is a global renewable energy firm providing quality, innovative energy engineering and advisory services to project developers and operators, investors, utilities, government agencies, and manufacturers.
At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose – to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too. #ThisIsOurNormal
The Power Systems Engineer will be an active contributor within the Grid Solutions business unit to support the unit’s existing advisory service offerings of wind and solar power simulations, load coincidence studies, optimization of future wind and solar plant build-outs, wind and solar resource mapping, storage optimization studies, etc. The Power Systems Engineer will also help expand the business unit service offerings through the application of power system planning principles and simulations and analysis of power system steady state and dynamic behavior.
- Write, modify, execute, and maintain software in support of internal research initiatives and externally sponsored client projects
- Perform technical analyses of sensitive data, assess, and validate results using commercial simulation tools and proprietary in-house programs based on fundamentals of physics, meteorology, electrical engineering, and power systems
- Work as part of a team to contribute to the businesses advisory services, internal product development and advancement, the development of project scope and costs, support sales and marketing functions. Act to address client concerns and to resolve complex project-related issues.
- Integrate continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job
- Apply knowledge and use experiences from the energy sector to identify and develop new advisory services, targeted research initiatives, technical and operational offerings associated with utility scale renewable energy, distributed resources, e-mobility, and/or smart grid advancements
- M.S. Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Meteorology, Atmospheric science, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field.
- M.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on power systems or energy storage preferred.
- 1-3years’ experience in the energy industry with proficiency with power system analysis tools (i.e., Plexos, PowerFactory, PSLF, PSS/E, etc.).
- At least two years’ work experience programming in a higher-level language (FORTRAN and/or C, C++) and statistical packages (R, Matlab).
- Advanced knowledge of UNIX/LINUX commands, shell scripts, batch job submissions in a high performance computing (HPC) environment.
- Experience with configuration management/software revision systems (i.e., CVS or Subversion).
- Strong written and oral communication skills with a passion for working in a team environment.
- Experience with electrical system studies including generation, transmission, or distribution analysis, renewable energy integration and transmission analysis, and/or congestion and system expansion studies
- Firm understanding of energy economics and market fundamentals
- Familiarity with artificial intelligence/machine learning techniques and neural networks
- Ability to solve complex problems through engineering analysis and design principles
- Entrepreneurial spirit and strong sense of industry needs to assist with the development of new services for existing and new clients