Alliant Energy is looking to fill a Power System Analyst II position in Madison, WI.
This position will work with the Planning Specialist team to monitor, maintain and update Delivery System Planning processes, procedures, and methodologies to support Planning and Distribution Engineers with model building, data collection and analysis, GIS mapping, and tools.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of and background in an electric utility and strong data analytical skills.
Energize your career and apply today!
These accountabilities are not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities and does not limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees assigned to this job.
- Performs data extraction and analysis to support Planning and Distribution engineering needs (load, reliability, revenue, assets, etc.) for near-term and long-range plans, including map development and updates. This is includes monitoring data and identifying if corrective actions are necessary. Develops presentations and performs analysis, including long-range load forecasting.
- Completes data requests pertinent to planning and distribution engineering to meet contractual and compliance reporting requirements with oversight from delivery system planner or supervisor.
- Assist with leading in development of data governance procedures.
- Builds moderate to complex operational system models including extraction and allocation of load. Ensures model accuracy for switching devices, protective devices, loads, DER, conductors, regulators, capacitors and other model components.
- Leads in review of standard operating procedures for model development. Oversees the development of a system model library and modeling warehouse.
- Perform contingency switching analysis in support of operations and/or distribution engineer.
- Supports evaluation on the vendor for and oversees development and implementation of computer software tools for model building.
- Responsible for implementation of procedures and communication tools (database) to coordinate execution of multi-year plan with Transmission Owners (TOs).
- Manages Electric Capital Projects Database. Support development of scope of work documentation for substations and simple line work.
- Manages the structure and format for organizing planning records and documentation.
- Verifies accuracy of the Master Substation List and consistency with other systems or groups (ERP, Power Plant, GIS, CASCADE, OSI, UFLS, PeakMap/MV90, TOs, etc.) and development of standards for governing data.
- Develops relationships with other department peers as appropriate (GIS, Asset Management, IT, etc.). Participates on teams as assigned.
- Performs contingency switching analysis under the guidance of planning engineers.
- Provides support to less experienced planning specialists.
Education and Experience:
- This position requires an Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient with computer skills including computer software programs (i.e., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management), database query tools and programming languages (i.e., SQL, VBA), demonstrated understanding on data integration, statistics concepts and regression analysis.
- Working ability to develop applications and perform spatial analysis using ESRI’s ArcGIS products and other related geospatial technologies.
- Knowledge of electric utility operations, maintenance or construction practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate information clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing with colleagues of a similar status, both formally and informally
- Proficient in the creation and delivery of presentations to convey information
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse work environment.
Alliant Energy will not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.