The Power Supply Planning Project Manager will support electric utilities in generation and power supply planning decisions, including the decisions and justifications of new generation facility construction, generation facility retirements, and facility retrofits or conversions, as well as power purchase decisions. The Power Supply Planning Project Manager will support a broad range of studies and other consulting services to support electric utilities to make decisions backed by business and engineering analysis regarding their power supply requirements, such as integrated resource planning, market assessments, and power supply RFP evaluations. The project manager will be required to work with numerous entities in the industry including investor-owned electric utilities, municipal electric utilities, electric cooperatives, and independent power producers. This project manager will be a seller-doer, conducting sales and marketing activities and executing projects. The project manager will spend time directly engaged with clients to identify new work, prepare proposals, establish study objectives, formulate project approaches, and manage/oversee a team of consultants/engineers to meet the study objectives and provide the client with useful and actionable deliverables.
The project manager will be responsible for, and manage, all aspects of projects from business development, scope and fee development, staffing plan development, project oversight and execution, quality management, and financial performance responsibilities. The project manager will support and lead both on-the-job and classroom training efforts for less experienced team members. Key responsibilities will include:
- Business development: Develop new, and manage existing, client relationships through client marketing and project interactions; identify new sales opportunities with clients; lead all aspects of proposal development and submission including project planning, budgeting, and scheduling; establish critical project objectives and performances with client; lead contract preparation and negotiations.
- Project execution: Lead all aspects of project execution including scope, schedule, and budget; ensure quality control of deliverables; analyze and communicate project status, risks, schedule, and costs to all internal and external stakeholders; lead multi-discipline teams of engineers and analysts; plan, organize, and communicate project personnel needs to department management.
- Leadership: Mentor and train less experienced staff on technical and business aspects of projects and the industry; serve as a recognized industry-leader in power generation planning and evaluation; support company initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering or related field from an accredited program. Advanced degree is a plus such as an MBA or Engineering Management.
- Minimum 7 years related experience; working for, or providing consulting services to, electric utilities, including 3 or more years managing engineering or consulting projects
- Strong knowledge of power supply planning software, preferably PROMOD (zonal and nodal) and Capacity Expansion (or familiarity with Plexos, EnCompass, GridView, or others).
- Extensive knowledge of electric power options including generation facility types, capital costs, operating costs, typical dispatch profiles, and general power system operations. Knowledge of power supply purchase agreements regarding costs and terms.
- Deep and broad base of knowledge of electric utility systems, power generation types, power delivery with understanding of power generation portfolio planning.
- General business and financial calculation knowledge, including discounted cash flow analysis, net present value analysis, and internal rate of return evaluations.
- Proven ability to lead, educate, and train a team of engineers and analysts in regards to power supply planning studies.
- Proven ability to lead multi-discipline teams of engineers and analysts.
- General business and financial calculation knowledge.
- Effective Project Management skills.
- Ability to work with existing and new clients to identify new projects, articulate to the clients our ability to perform those projects, and translate that into the sale of consulting services.Ability to communicate with various business contacts to understand their needs and translate them into a scope of work that meets their desired outcomes.
- Ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines and to be effective in on-site work environments.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, including identification of critical path items to ensure deliverable deadlines are met.
- Ability to focus on the big picture to effectively and efficiently provide services that meet client needs, while also having the ability to identify and analyze details that are critical to project outcomes.
- Willingness to learn new service offerings as client needs and the market requires changes to the service offerings provided by our group.
- Willingness and ability to develop a broad set of service offering types to allow for flexibility to go where the work is.
- Willingness to cross sell other services offered by Burns & McDonnell outside the project manager’s core set of services.
- Willingness to negotiate with clients for new service agreements.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PPT).
- Must have ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of industry, government and public contracts on project-related matters.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Professional Registration preferred.
- Ability to travel.
About 1898 & Co.
1898 & Co. is a business, technology and security solutions consultancy where experience and foresight come together to unlock lasting advancements. We innovate today to fuel our clients’ future growth, catalyzing insights that drive smarter decisions, improve performance and maximize value. As part of Burns & McDonnell, we draw on more than 120 years of deep and broad experience in complex industries as we envision and enable the future for our clients.
Burns & McDonnell is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans