At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
As a power industry professional are you looking for a new "home" where your employer's values are aligned with yours? Are you interested in a company that is diverse and inclusive and takes extraordinary efforts to create high performance teams? Are you interested in a company that has a strong local presence supported by national experts in power generation and provides you with opportunities to work on transformational projects throughout the US? Are you interested in a firm that is 100-percent employee owned with full transparency of financial results and a solid record of performance year-to-year? If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, HDR may be a new home for you.
HDR is looking for a Power Generation Business Development Lead to support our national practice focused on the intermountain region including Colorado, Wyoming, North and South Dakota. This position will include three key functions: 1) Lead client development 2) Drive business growth 3) Support projects and national initiatives. Primary Responsibilities:
As Power Generation Business Development Lead you will be responsible for capturing power and energy business across numerous established client relationships in the region as well as fostering new power and energy business within the industrial, institutional, IPP and utility power and energy industry, both locally and in collaboration with other HDR operating Areas. Our services encompass planning, design, and owners engineering work for new and existing generating facilities including fossil and renewable power plants as well as distributed generation, district energy, energy storage and microgrids.
The primary duties of the Business Development Leader will involve identifying and pursuing opportunities to support new and existing clients in the planning, design, permitting and optimization of their energy systems and portfolios. Responsibilities for this position will include client and business development, market penetration strategy development and implementation, and serving as a technical consultant and/or client/project manager for strategic projects. Responsibilities include:
- Leverage experience and personal networks to work with clients to create opportunities to deliver a variety of HDR services in the power and energy market including but not limited to consulting, detailed design, owners engineering, permitting, siting, and planning. Recognize other HDR services and activities outside of core development services that would benefit clients.
- Be responsible for business development and management of clients. Grow the practice through client facing and marketing activities.
- Lead pursuit efforts for a wide range of opportunities ranging from planning studies to comprehensive service agreements.
- Grow the size and capabilities of the local/regional team through recruitment, mentoring, staff development, staff retention, work-sharing, and training.
- Facilitate teamwork, communication, and work-sharing between offices and business groups.
- Serve as Project and/or Client Manager for key contracts and be responsible for the coordination, quality, and timely completion of projects.
- Coordinate the involvement and input of multi-discipline teams involving those with expertise in power delivery, thermal generation, engineering, project controls, environmental permitting, site assessments, project economics, and risk assessment.
- Work with internal practice leaders and client development leaders to identify/target clients and projects to expand the business in the region.
- Performing client management, project management and/or technical support activities on projects to achieve a utilization goal of 25%.
- Develop and/or review project objectives, scope, estimates, schedules, work plans and staffing for power generation pursuits and projects.
- Assign appropriate staff to pursuits and projects that are supported by the Power Generation team.
- Participate in strategic planning activities for Power Sector in the region and nationally as required.
- Participate in business and community activities as a representative of HDR.
*LI-BS1 Qualifications Required Qualifications:
- BS or BA degree in Business, Sciences or Engineering or related field.
- 8 years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to establish new business relationships and closing business.
- Understanding of the various energy markets in the United States and ability to identify and market services within those markets.
- Must have project management skills with a strong ability to maintain a high standard of quality in project deliverables.
- Strong communication, leadership, planning, organization, and listening skills.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE).
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited university.
- Established market relationships in the region.
- Preferred experience working with a variety of client types including regulated and non-regulated utilities, Independent Power Producers, municipalities, and other public and private clients.
- Familiar with current industry trends such as the implications of growing electric vehicle adoption, aggregation of behind-the-meter resources, distributed energy resources, energy storage applications, and increasing renewable energy implementation on existing utility infrastructure.
- Participant in industry professional organizations, publications, and conferences.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.