Job Role Summary
ExxonMobil Research and Engineering has an immediate opening for a post-doctoral position in the Hydrocarbon Science Section of its Corporate Strategic Research Laboratory in Annandale, NJ.
Primary Job Functions
- Work as part of a team investigating several biogeochemical topics including the diagenesis of organic matter in sediments, metabolism of environmental microbes, and microbial biofuels
- Design and perform experimental and analytical work in metabolomics and organic biogeochemistry related to biologically sourced molecules in marine, sedimentary and hydrocarbon systems, as well as lab cultures simulating these environments
- Develop new analytical techniques for chromatographic and mass spectrometric analyses of microbial metabolites and lipids using our state-of-the art HPLC-, 2D-LC- and SFC-QToF MS system
- Collaborate effectively with other researchers within the company as well as academic researchers
- A PhD in metabolomics, geochemistry, analytical chemistry, or a related field
- Experience with LC-MS analysis of organic compounds, including sample preparation and data processing. High-resolution mass spec experience preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and experience in sample processing for trace level compound analysis
- Ability to think creatively and develop new research directions
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate in multi-disciplinary teams, and a desire to publish in top-quality refereed journals, and to participate in external technical meetings
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
To be successful in this work, the candidate should have a PhD in Geoscience, Biology or Chemistry, with specialization in metabolomics, organic geochemistry, biogeochemistry, oceanography or related fields. Candidates who are in the process of completing their PhDs in 2018 will also be considered. Experience in LC-MS lipid analysis, lipidomics, and/or metabolomics would be preferred. Additional experience in marine biogeochemistry, stable isotope geochemistry, paleoceanography, microbiology, and/or advanced chromatography techniques (e.g. LC×LC, SFC) will be given special consideration.
ExxonMobil's Corporate Strategic Research Laboratory conducts fundamental research with a staff of over 200 scientists and engineers in diverse disciplines. The laboratory features excellent support and analytical facilities, an international staff, and is strongly integrated with the external scientific community. Our facilities are centrally located in scenic Annandale, New Jersey, approximately 50 miles from both New York City and Philadelphia.
ExxonMobil offers an excellent working environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Alternate Location: United States : Clinton, New Jersey
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Geology, Engineer, Scientific, Engineering, Research