1. Assists in designing and developing research projects to address the project hypothesis in collaboration with the project PI and other members of the research team.
2. Initiates and conducts research projects with minimal supervision.
3. Prepares technical reports, summaries, and protocols. Aids in the preparation of manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed scientific journals. Analyzes data for statistical significance.
4. Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks.
5. Establishes and maintains databases for research projects.
6. Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures. Provides leadership in the proper disposal of infectious, radioactive, and hazardous materials.
7. Provides quality control, trouble shooting and the maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment.
8. Assists with training laboratory staff and visiting scientists as required.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of complex laboratory techniques; ability to follow basic instructions; good communication and analytical skills. Must have demonstrated research expertise with microscopy and cell and molecular biology techniques. Experience with data compilation and analysis using standard software programs (e.g., Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism). Experience with laboratory rodents helpful but not required. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Doctoral degree in a scientific discipline
Minimum Experience: 4 to 6 years laboratory experience
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of standing and sitting; handling various chemicals
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: May provide guidance to lower level laboratory staff
Work Environment: Laboratory environment