A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Sangeeta Dhawan, at the Diabetes and Metabolism Research Institute at City of Hope. We are looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow interested in studying the epigenetic regulation of pancreatic beta-cell mass in health and diabetes. In addition, our lab is interested in the dynamics of beta-cell diversity, islet organization and cell-cell interaction in fetal and neonatal development. The Dhawan lab utilizes genetic mouse models, molecular biology and epigenetic techniques to study the cellular identity, function, remodeling, and survival of beta-cells in physiological and pathological conditions.
The specific research projects currently available in the lab are directed at determining: the role of epigenetic mechanisms in co-regulation of insulin secretion and beta-cell survival, epigenetic patterning and remodeling in beta-cell differentiation, epigenetic regulation of beta-cell adaptive responsive to changes in metabolic demand and injury, and epigenetic dysregulation in beta-cell failure during diabetes pathogenesis.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in molecular biology and cell or developmental biology. Experience with epigenetic techniques and rodent models preferred. The candidate should be self-motivated, with a proven track record of productivity.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- PhD in Molecular, Cellular or Developmental Biology.
- Strong interest in diabetes research/regenerative biology.
- Extensive experience with basic molecular biology skills.
- Experience in handling animal models preferred.
- Experience with epigenetic techniques preferred.
- Experience with tissue collection, histology and immunohistochemistry.
- Experience with cell culture, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, and cell-sorting.
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Evidence of productivity reflected in first author publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Good problem solving skills and passion to follow relevant literature.
- Ability to conduct independent research, and work effectively in a team.